Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invisible folder

• Please log in to reply

shandance

shandance

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My dad thinks he's a bit of a tech wiz (20 years ago maybe) so when he got a laptop a couple of years ago he partitioned the hard drive into 3 sections one as back up one for apps and the other for files. He has now lost the 'My Documents' folder from his file drive. It isn't hidden I've enabled viewing of these, but if you try to add a new folder called 'My Documents' it says: 'Cannot rename New Folder: A file with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different file name.' Using or copying across his back ups is not an option as he is stubborn as a mule. Any suggestions? Oh, the documents inside the folder are still accessible as the first thing that comes up through excel if 'open' is clicked in the file menu.
Please help!
Thanks
Shannon

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try to manually go to it C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\My Documents

Maybe if you are trying to get to his My Documents through another username and it as been put as Private (right click on the folder and choose properties then sharing) you will not be able to see the folder.

shandance

shandance

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Awesome thanks I'll tell him to give that a go - thank you