Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anyone help me with this graphics card problem?

• Please log in to reply

Samakzam

Samakzam

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I assume it's a graphics card problem.

First off, this is my first post on this website, it was recommended to me by a friend. Sorry if I'm in the wrong section, or don't provide enough information.

My computer is a HP Pavilion, and my monitors are a HPw2408h and a Phillips 170B (I'm not sure if this is relevant)
It has:
Windows 7,
GB Ram,
Quad core GHz processor,

The problems started about a week ago, I booted up my computer like normal, but it didn't come on. I could hear a loud whirring sound, and my monitors couldn't detect a video input. I performed a hard shut-down, then rebooted it. This time, only one of the monitors came on. The resolution was far lower than usual, and all the aero features were off. I had a look round the computer, and in the device manager section it said 'this device is not working properly' next to the graphics card.
I checked online for solutions, and decided to uninstall then reinstall the driver. The uninstalling went fine, so did downloading the driver again. However, it said I needed to restart my computer. I did this, and the same thing that happened earlier happened again, a loud whirring sound and no video input detected. Now whenever I turn the computer on I have two options:
Launch Windows Startup Repair (which doesn't know how to fix it)
Start Windows normally (which leads to the whirring sound and no video input)

I'm at a loss, I'm usually half decent with a computer, but I'm totally out of my depth.

Any help would be highly appreciated, and again I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Could the sound be a dirty fan in your laptop causing overheating.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Samakzam,
You need to provide more information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop + provide the model name or series number, motherboard
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

Samakzam

Samakzam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, I'll do my best, but I can't access the device manager, so I don't know the exact name of everything.

It's a desktop and has a TV tuner in it. I'm not sure about the motherboard, sorry.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
When was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out, including all fans?

I'm usually half decent with a computer

Does this include with hardware?
The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections
and that both ends are secure.
2: Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, do the
same with the Ram sticks.
3: Clear the CMOS by removing the MBs silver CR2032 battery for a few moments and then
replace it, moving the MB jumpers is another way of doing this if necessary.
The 1st option is easier and normally does the same thing, if you get the screen back
after clearing the CMOS you will need to go into the BIOS, re-set the time and date and
save and exit.
4: Make sure that all fans are working correctly, this includes the psu.
While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out any heat trapping
dust, clean all fans, if canned compressed air is used do not allow fans to spin freely
use something like a clean popsicle stick to hold them still and finally make sure that
all connections are secure.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not try another video card and/or
a known working psu.
While the case is open you can get the MB and psu make and model details and post next time.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Samakzam

Samakzam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try when I have some time at the weekend, then let you know.

Samakzam

Samakzam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, sorry for the time I took.

I did everything you said above, and it didn't resolve the problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Sam

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
[quote name='Samakzam' timestamp='1287078264' post='1913455']

I did everything you said above, and it didn't resolve the problem. Any other ideas?

Does this include trying a different psu and video card?
Providing the MB, PSU and GFX card details is important! We cannot help you without them.