Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't know what else to do

• Please log in to reply

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry if I should have posted this in the pinned Windows XP repair thread, but I really don't know what else to do.

I've been trying to get some Malware off my computer, and in the process I've screwed up my XP. It's to the point where XP won't even boot up, it says that "\Windows\system32\config\system" is corrupt or missing, and it tells me to reboot with the original CD and repair it.

Well, it won't do it.

I've gone into cmos and turned off all boot devices except the CDROM and it still proceeds to do the same thing.

It's about time for a reformat anyways, so if someone could tell me how I can even get my XP cd to actually boot the computer, please do so.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is the process for solving the problem you are having, but it does not work 100 percent of the time

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

as for booting from the cd, what is the OS? What controller is the harddrive on? The CD-rom drive?

Are the drives properly detected in the BIOS?

GovtCheese

GovtCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The CD is a WinXP cd.

Not sure what controller the hard drives/cd-rom are on, all I know is they worked fine yesterday until I tried to get this malware off my PC.

Yes, it is detecting all HDDs and CDROMs in the BIOS startup screen.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like your windows cd is damaged.

no reason it should not boot, assuming your system supports it and it is prominantly placed as the first boot device.

What kind of system? You say it is a windows xp cd, but is it from MS or from a third party vendor (compaq, HP etc)