Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

front panel connection problems

• Please log in to reply

Kark

Kark

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently bought an Asus A7S8X-MX Socket A Barebone Kit from tigerdirect. Here's a link if you want to see more about it. It should work so long as they don't run out of stock.
http://www.tigerdire...7383&CatId=1219

Anyways the kit comes with an inland ATX Mid-Tower Case that has 2 usbs and a mic and audio out port. The manual I recieved with the motherboard doesn't really cover how to connect the plugs that come from my case to the motherboard. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Kark, 26 May 2005 - 06:18 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, the usb is always fairly standard so here's what to look for :
Your USB connectors from the case will normally be either :
a bunch of individual connectors
or they will be one solid block connector
or you will have a strip of 3 wires & one black (GND) wire for each USB port.

Regardless of which you have, the colours & markings will be as follows:
(NB The actual markings on the connectors (if any) may vary slightly)
Each USB port will have one red, one white, one green and one black wire.
RED=USB +5V
WHITE = USB DATA(-)
GREEN = USB DATA(+)
BLACK = GROUND

The USB header on the motherboard:
Theres 2 headers on your board (USB56 & USB78) in the bottom right corner of the mobo.
Heres how the wires from the case connect to the header (both headers are wired the same)

red white green black nc
o o o o o
o o o o
red white green black

NC = not connected.

DO NOT connect these pins up to the firewire (1394) port by mistake. They look very similar.

I can't advise you on the audio connections without knowing exactly what connectors you have coming from the case.

Hope this helps a bit

Kark

Kark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't thank you enough that made it so much easier. As for the audio plugs i've figured out how they're supposed to be plugged in I'm just wondering if there is certain way they need to face or if it even matters. Here's the diagram of the FP_AUDIO1 pins.

AGND +5VA BLINE_OUT_R BLINE_OUT_S
ooo o
ooooo
MIC2 MCPWR Line_out_R NC Line_out_L

I have three 2 pin and one 1 pin plugs. The 1 pin is called MIC BIAS and plugs into AGND and the wire is green. Then there's the MIC IN GND and it plugs into MIC2 and MCPWR. It's wires are blue and black, the black wire looks thicker so I was thinking it was probably for MCPWR. The other two plugs are S-R and S-L. S-R's wires are red and orange and S-L's wires are white and yellow. They obviously plug into the line outs that match them but I don't know which way or if it even matters. Anyways thanks again you've been a huge help.

Edited by Kark, 26 May 2005 - 07:15 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Had a look at your front panel audio connectors & header. As usual, the manual is particularly unhelpful.

From what I understand, your connector marked ([MIC_IN] [GND]) The MIC_IN should go to the pin marked MIC2 on the mobo. The GND connects to the AGND pin.
The single wire connector marked [MIC BIAS] is the mic power/additional mic input. This connects to the MICPWR pin.

SR connectors is obviously the right speaker (Line out R etc), SL is left speaker. As for which way round these 2 connectors go, I'm not sure. I don't think it will matter too much if you get it wrong though. Have a guess then turn speaker volume down low & test the speakers. If it sounds wrong, reverse the connectors.

The only tip I can give you is that often with these types of headers & connectors, the writing on the plugs normally faces the same way for every plug. So, connect the MIC_IN/GND plug up, then when you connect the speaker plugs, position them so the markings are facing same direction as the MIC_IN/GND plug.
This is not guaranted to work at all but it is true in the majority of cases.

Kark

Kark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again for the help. You saved me a lot of wasted time searching on google for the answers. By the way, I'm sorry it took so long to post on here again but I'm in the middle of moving to my new place. It's been a bit crazy trying to organize rides with people to get my things from the one town to another and all that fun stuff. Anyways I may be back again depending on if I need to do anything with the bias. I still have to go through the manual, once I get the time, to find out though. See you in the future. =)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good luck with it all. :tazz: