Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Fresh Install problem

• Please log in to reply

Ddrizzt87

Ddrizzt87

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, everyone,
I'm attempting to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional-64 bit on my machine. Everything goes fine until the "Complete Installation" part
of the install. When it gets there it goes to a black screen with a blinking white cursor. I've retried many times always with
the same end result. I'm wondering about possible causes for this as well as possible fixes.

Thanks in advance for any and all help available.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Navigate here using a Linux boot disc: %WINDIR%\Panther

%WINDIR% should be C:\Windows\Panther

There will be a setup log file in there with a .txt extension. Attach that to your next post.

Ddrizzt87

Ddrizzt87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply, diabillic. After doing some searching around I found out that my video card, the geforce 9800gx2,
has a driver issue which makes installing Windows 7 near impossible. To get around this I replaced the card with a 8800gtx
loaner from a friend. The OS then installed without an issue. Afterward I thought I'd try to replace my 9800gx2 in the machine
now that I had the OS installed. I ended up receiving a blue screen error before getting to windows. I then replaced the 8800gtx
only to find that Windows would no longer start properly. I tried to do a clean install of Windows 7 again, this time however right
when the display shows the "Starting Windows" screen the machine will just restart. Over and over again.