Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Failure to install... ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

natalieanne57

natalieanne57

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hiya,

I have been trying to install a few programs and my laptop just doesnt want to let me. I have tried to download Microsoft Silverlight & it just says failure to install. Same with itunes, anti virus & skype. I have been trying for over a year and I have deleted alot of stuff off my laptop so memory is not the issue. I have been thinking about formatting my laptop but I'm worried about deleting everything and not being able to get any of it back such as acer webcam and vista and microsoft office?

Thanks,

Natalie

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Hi natalieanne57 :D

I have not used Vista, so My suggestions could be wrong.

It is not uncommon for retail PCs, laptops, for the user account to be a *limited account* this prevents the user from altering important files and setting to prevent damage to the system.

You may need to have *administrative rights*

You can do this in two ways. 1, alter your account so you have administrative rights or 2, log on as administrator. The 2nd option is preferred.

from start menu bring up your help and support and in the search box type, log on as administrator, follow the instruction or, type, alter user account and follow the instruction.

Please post back your results.

natalieanne57

natalieanne57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That didn't work. I don't know what it is. But I wanted to clear the whole laptop but I havent got a vista disc to re install everything.. plus I dont want to lose out the acer software such as the webcam because if I get rid of the software and can't get it back the webcam won't work.

P.s I have adminstrartor rights the whole time.. It says fatal error during installation.. Nothing else.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts
Your laptop should have a recovery partition. I do not know if this will repair your OS or do a clean instal. Before doing anything else. What is the make and model of your laptop?

Been doing some research and your problem could be a virus or mailware so, Please post your problem > http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ Give as much information as you can. Make and model of the laptop, OS, service packs. When you have a clean bill of health, post back or, if advised, start a new topic.

natalieanne57

natalieanne57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My laptop is Acer Travelmate 5320.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

... I wanted to clear the whole laptop ...

My laptop is Acer Travelmate 5320.

TravelMate 5720/5710/5320/5310 Series User's Guide
http://support.acer....len_OLM_Eng.pdf

See the sections on "Acer eRecovery Management"

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
This must have something to do with the updates either with Silverlight or those at the same time period. I came on here to see if thre was some help with this and since have been going thru techs at MS trying to solve this issue. My challenge also involves the Windows Installer Service not being available. The last tech has now put in an order for a new OS DVD which she had to obtain permission to request then it is going thru the "internal workings" of MS and we are now on the countdown of 15 working days to receive it. I am so hoping that i will be able to get this issue taken care of before years' end. No banking statements can be downloaded, no club calendars etc etc etc can be downloaded. This is work, two households for dependent elderly family business that needs to be taken care of. PERHAPS you can contact them and receive the OS DVD for your computer.