Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[filename]srv.exe duplicating virus

• Please log in to reply

fadingout

fadingout

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just reinstalled windows xp on my computer ironically to start fresh because of a previous virus. But one of the files that I backed up from the computer was infected with a virus that duplicated every .exe file when opened and added 'srv' on the end. So now I have over 2,000 files with [filename]srv.exe, [filename]srvsrv.exe, [filename]srvsrvsrv.exe and so on.

It has also created c:\programfiles\microsoft\desktoplayer.exe

I just did a MalwareBytes scan which found Backdoor.Bifrose in 'c:\program files\system32', Trojan.ZbotR.Gen in a registry value and Hijack.UserInit in registry data.

Could someone please advise me on how to get rid of this virus and also what this virus actually does?

Thanks in advance :D

edit: also would it be more advisable to to a clean reformat. i have read some other topics on this and it seems that after this infection there is no guarantee that the system will stay clean.

I think i know the file that was carrying the virus. It was an .exe file. Will it be safe if I back up my files but do not include any exe files, then reformat and install windows again?

Edited by fadingout, 05 October 2010 - 03:37 PM.

Advertisements