Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winsows XP

• Please log in to reply

Emerald Isle

Emerald Isle

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been trying to clear my registry, format my hard drive and reinstall my windows XP home because my PC has become very slow.
I tried doing this by doing a system recovery on my HP pavilion 7945.
First I tried doing the recovery for the desktop but once you select yes to begin no thing happen.
Next I tried it by booting and using the F10 option but it give an error saying the partition was missing, it then tried to create a partition but later give an error saying it could not.
The HP helpdesk recommends I now buy a set of recovery disks and try them.

However I have a copy of windows XP pro on CD and tried installing it .First I tried changing the boot order and booting from the CD. The machine give an error with an option to start in safe mode instead. (sorry should of do more details)
Next I trying installing it from the desktop, it would begin and display the install windows XP pro option but when you select it it would not do it.

So my question is should I buy the recover disks or how to I get the Win XP pro to install??.

Help needed
Brendan

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
However I have a copy of windows XP pro on CD and tried installing it .First I tried changing the boot order and booting from the CD. The machine give an error with an option to start in safe mode instead. (sorry should of do more details)
Next I trying installing it from the desktop, it would begin and display the install windows XP pro option but when you select it it would not do it.

So my question is should I buy the recover disks or how to I get the Win XP pro to install??.

Whats the error?

If you try to install from inside windows (from your desktop) try this.:

Copy your i386 folder to the root directory

then navagate to the root in cmd and write : winnt32 /unattend

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Sorry...

then navagate to the root, i386 folder in cmd and write : winnt32 /unattend

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Where did you get your XP cd from??

It would be worth your while to get the HP Recovery disks.. That will put your system back to the same condition it was in when you purchased it!!

Murray