Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 startup repair loop

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

It's been very educational.

Not really I failed.

I used to keep my programs in a separate partition like you do untill one day I realised that it has no point as when you reinstall windows you have to reinstall most programs (not all programs but most)
I am more or less at the same point as you I have just reinstalled windows and I am installing all programs on the same partition. I am most likely to then make an image and keep it on an external or dvd.
If you like I can keep you informed as to what I am doing as I will be doing different methods to find out which seems to fit the best. I am looking at ways for people like yourself who rely on computers.
About 10 years ago I had a method of where I got the computer loaded and updated with all programs then made a copy onto another hard drive. I tested the drive to make sure all was ok. I then left the drive in the computer but not connected (so any power spikes would not knock the drive out). The day I had a major crash I just tok the cables off the crashed drive and put them on the clone and was back in business.
This method is not for everyone and that is why I am trying different methods to see what is good but also what is simple.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements