Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't extend laptop monitor to projector

• Please log in to reply

sloth88

sloth88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've been using my HP Pavilion dv5-1000 laptop Win Vista 32 bit with an Epson Powerlite82c LCD projector for 2 years. Suddenly (nothing changed) the projector says it is receiving no signal from laptop. I've switched out cables and desktop pc works fine with projector. I use a VGA cable to connect. I know I need to go into the settings and extend the monitor to get the display on both the laptop and projector, but when I check the box to extend the monitor and click apply, OK, the checkmark disappears. Monitor 2 doesn't appear active either. It won't let me change the resolution on monitor 2. In chatting with HP tech support (joke!) they had me uninstall and reinstall drivers for ATI RadeonHD 3200 graphics card.
This didn't help at all.

I'm so frustrated because I use this to teach every day and it worked beautifully before!

Are there generic drivers that might work instead?
Do I need a new video card?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
On my laptop I have to press press [fn]+[F4] to toggle the display. Pressing it once switches to the external monitor only. Pressing it a second time toggles both the laptop and the external monitor On. (At this point I have to fiddle with "Display Properties > Settings" to get both monitors working the way I want). And finally, pressing [fn]+[F4] once again returns it back to the laptop only screen.

Edited by SpywareDr, 06 October 2010 - 02:59 AM.

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The FN+f4 step is something I knew to do and have tried several times with no luck. Sorry, I prob. should have mentioned that.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Is the laptop's external VGA port working? (I'd hook up a normal, known-good monitor as a test).

Also double-check the VGA cable to make sure it's okay.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
considering that you've been using this without issue for 2 years and then all of a sudden it's not working, it could very well be a hardware failure. it's possible that the VGA port is broken (where you always using the VGA port?)

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
VGA port and cable both test fine.