Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse problem

• Please log in to reply

julian94

julian94

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My wireles mouse isn't connecting to my laptop, the component is in the USB slot and i search for the device and it is still not working, please help

Edited by julian94, 06 October 2010 - 05:39 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Old or new mouse (has it worked on the laptop previously)?
If it is new check the batteries are in correctly, leave the usb connection in and reboot the laptop and allow Windows to install the drivers.
If the mouse has worked previously replace the batteries, in addition check the bottom of the mouse for an on/off switch and a re-set button, the mouse and usb connector may need to be paired again, to do this press the re-set buttons so that the mouse and usb connector find each other.
Hope one of these gets things sorted for you and let us know if it does.

julian94

julian94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It has worked previously but all of a sudden it decided no to, and i tried all of your seggestions and they hav'nt work, here's the mouse if it'll help http://www.trust.com...spx?artnr=16536 and it has no off button ¬¬

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
I am not yet familiar with W7 (slow I know) so some of the control panel/device manager options may be different.
Have you looked in Device Manager to see if the mouse is listed?
Look under HID (human interface devices) and mice and pointers, if the mouse is listed check for yellow or red symbols next to it which may highlight the problem.
Does your laptop have another usb port to try or can you try the mouse on another computer.

julian94

julian94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think the USB might be damaged but all i have done that MAY have damaged it is my dad passing it to my through the air but i doubt that would have broken it, but the reason i think this is that it isn't showing up on my computer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
What is the make and model of your laptop?
It is possible that the usb has been disabled in the BIOS somehow.

julian94

julian94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It is the ADVENT Roma 2000, and what is the BIOS?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
The specs for your laptop show it has 3 usb ports, have you tried using the other 2? If not can you do so.
Without going into too much detail and complicating things, the MB has a BIOS chip on it and this stores certain information on it such as the boot sequence, time and date settings, enabling and disabling hardware just to mention a couple of the many things it does.

but the reason i think this is that it isn't showing up on my computer

What is not showing up and where were you looking?
Do you have a Windows 7 or a recovery disk that came with the laptop, the drivers for the usb ports may need to be re-installed.
If the laptop is still under warranty you may want to return it to the store to be fixed before going into the BIOS as if you don`t know what you are doing you can totally disable your computer.
For what it is worth passing the laptop through the air would not cause this, unless it was thrown but not caught.
The warranty situation regarding your laptop and the way you wish to proceed will determine the advice given.

julian94

julian94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The thing that is not showing up is the hardware of the mouse, and i have looked at the hardware view stuff, and there was no backup disk and i connected my Xbox controller to check, and it works, so it might just be the USB

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Try re-installing the mouse, if the mouse came with a driver disk have it ready, if not allow windows to install one.
Go into control panel and right click on the add new hardware icon and follow the on screen instructions.

julian94

julian94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I will have to check back tommorow as i have other things to do