Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Driver Checker

• Please log in to reply

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Can someone give me a driver checker (for like, programs, video card, grahpics card, ice cream chips) that can check if you need updates and is an online checker, trustworthy, and not a gives you malware site?

Edited by Dark Player, 06 October 2010 - 03:56 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The best free checker is to check with the manufacturer of the individual part or if built on to the mobo then check with their website.
Third party driver checkers normally do not work and usually ask you to pay for them.
They do nothing more then you can do on your own.
GTG doesn't support third party checkers because of this. If you would like help to look for newer drivers for your components we can assist with that.

Dark Player

Dark Player

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Sure!, can you help me then? I don't want outdated drivers.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
please please.....i can help with the ICE CREAM CHIPS :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to provide the following info...
  • Laptop or Desktop
  • Name brand system..what make and model
  • Custom built system.. then make and model of motherboard

If it is a add on card like Sound Card, Video, Network...Then we need the following
  • Type of card with make and model

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
for SOFTWARE....

http://secunia.com/v...nning/personal/

Dark Player

Dark Player

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
It's a laptop.
HP
Model - dv6700

You need to provide the following info...

• If it is a add on card like Sound Card, Video, Network...Then we need the following
    [list][b]
  • Type of card with make and model

What do you mean by addon card?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it was a desktop then you could have a soundcard, video card or something like that installed which would be better then what may be built on to the motherboard. Laptops you can't do that in most cases.

OK on HP's website there are 145 matches for that model dv6700
There should be more info according to their website HERE to distinguish the correct model.

Dark Player

Dark Player

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Wow, shocking info, its a DV6853CL, I just remembered the model number. I also remembered that for some reason, it always said this was a dv7000 series.

FYI - I have Service Pack 0 (AKA No Service Pack Installed), so it could affect the check.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drivers page HERE.

You may have to put in your OS.

Vista SP1 download HERE

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the same system HERE?
Are there more issues you did not mention here in this topic that we are trying to resolve?

Dark Player

Dark Player

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
So we can address all issues here? Okay.

This is the same computer as the one you mentioned.

For some dumb reason, when my HD broke, I sent it in to my repair shop, and they didn't install Windows Vista SP1.

I also cannot open Control Panel and Windows Update, and when I try to install SP1, it fails every time about 1/2 way through.

When I use that System Update thingy on the troubleshooting page on Microsoft (Type Troubleshooting Windows Vista SP1), it never installs, hangs on the "Installing" part.

Forgot to address a problem I never mentioned, I can't get audio to come in from headphones, it only gives sound out of my speakers. Microsoft Fix It Center doesn't detect that problem.

FYI - I have Vista x64, not x32, so make sure the downloads you might give me are for x64 bit.

I have a lot of issues, don't I? :D ;)

Edited by Dark Player, 07 October 2010 - 12:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so lets all get on the same page here.
The system boots up yes or no?
The OS loads with no problem yes or no?
The drivers is one issue correct?
The loading of the SP1 for Vista is another issue correct?

For some dumb reason, when my HD broke, I sent it in to my repair shop, and they didn't install Windows Vista SP1.

Did they replace the drive or what exactly did they do? What was wrong with the drive to need to be sent away?
Since you state you have no disks did you get any originally when you bought the laptop?
Going on the above statement you made how did you reload the OS then with no disks?
Where did the disks come from you used?
On the bottom of your laptop does it show Vista 64 bit as the original OS installed on the laptop?

Dark Player

Dark Player

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The system boots up yes or no? I'm using it right now, so yes.

The OS loads with no problem yes or no? Yes, no problems.

The drivers is one issue correct? Not really, just wanted to know if there are updates.

The loading of the SP1 for Vista is another issue correct? Yes, it doesn't let me install it.

Did they replace the drive or what exactly did they do? What was wrong with the drive to need to be sent away?
My hard drive was broken.

Since you state you have no disks did you get any originally when you bought the laptop? No, it was
preinstalled, but the repair guys gave me a disk to install Vista.

Going on the above statement you made how did you reload the OS then with no disks? They gave me an install disk.

Where did the disks come from you used? Not sure, they just said, here is the disk, use to install Vista.

On the bottom of your laptop does it show Vista 64 bit as the original OS installed on the laptop? Vista x64 bit
came with it when I bought it, but this laptop doesn't give much info about the OS, just the OS name, product key, and the laptop's model number

Edited by Dark Player, 07 October 2010 - 12:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so now lets make sure what they gave you was 64bit.
Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel

1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
Note Year is a placeholder for a year.

Method 2: View System Information window
  • 1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. Type winmsd.exe and then click OK.
    3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the Value.
  • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
  • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Next I would highly contacting HP and and requesting a set of recovery disks. This will include original OS as well as all preinstalled software and drivers that originally shipped with the system when brand new. They should be able to do this for a minimal amount.. less then 50 USD and maybe even do it for free.
You can reach them HERE
Please do this regardless of our outcome we have here so that you will have a legal copy and backup of everything original.
Now the next question is the cd they gave you a Original Microsoft Vista 64 bit disk or is it a burned copy?