Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory Warning

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Have just received warning in that my virtual memory is low and that some applications may be denied.

Is this caused by having too many programs, or too much data such as files and folders with data in them. Would cleaning out folders and files help the situation?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D
I'm sorry to hear about your issue and I will do what I can to help you resolve this issue.
Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them clearer for you. Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to make sure they will not cause any further issues.

It is mainly caused by the lack of memory I see stated on your system info. With only 512 megs that is bare minimum for the OS not counting the video that probably is sharing 64 megs of the memory. Then count in your autoruns and you are down to less then 256 megs of memory. The best way to stop this is to increase your memory to one gig total.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Also please do the following and post the requested logs.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else I thought of to check is the actual Virtual memory settings.

Go to Start then to Control Panel
Click on System then click on Advanced tab.
In the Performance Field click on Settings
Now on the Advanced Tab click on Change
Now take a screenshot and include it in your next reply.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Have just received warning in that my virtual memory is low and that some applications may be denied.

Is this caused by having too many programs, or too much data such as files and folders with data in them. Would cleaning out folders and files help the situation?

How much free space do you have on your C: drive.If you have less than 10% (15% is safer) of the total capacity of your C: free then it would be good to remove some of your stuff from your drive.

Try cleaning first your junk and temps files (use the free program ATF Cleaner to clean your drive), if that does not remove enough then uninstall any programs or games you are not using.

Adding some RAM (512 is not a lot) would surely help if the problem is not the free space windows requires on your c: drive for your Virtual memory swapping.