Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card won't support higher resolution

• Please log in to reply

kincol9

kincol9

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi -

I just got a new 22 inch monitor, but the video card will not support a resolution higher than 1280x1024. Can I download a driver or bios or something to increase my resolution? I don't know much about this. Everything is stretched out and looks awful now.

Video Card:
Via/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
Motherboard:
AMD Sempron ™ 3000+
Operating System:
Windows XP

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D

Via/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

This indicates a onboard video on the motherboard.
Can you please provide the following info so that we can assist you further?
  • Laptop or Desktop
  • Make and model if it is a brand name system
  • Make and model of motherboard if a custom built system
  • Total amount of memory installed on the system

kincol9

kincol9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its a work computer, I believe that it is not custom built. I will give you all the possibly relevant info:

Desktop
System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
System Model PX786AA-ABA SR1500NX NA530
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1999 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.14, 3/9/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.08 GB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yep integrated video but the good news it shows to have a PCI Express slot so you can upgrade the video card.
NewEgg video cards that will work.
TigerDirect video cards that will work.

Depending on what you can spend and what you want accomplish in the end will decide which card I can suggest for you.
I have one hesitation though due to the below comment.

Its a work computer

Is this in a office and does the company have a IT department that normally handles your network and computer systems?

kincol9

kincol9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not much of an IT department, we're just a nonprofit. Cost wise, I would want to go as cheap as possible and just be able to run the recommended resolution (1680x1050 or 1920x1080)

Thanks a bunch.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow I can tell you that you have been a pleasure to work with. You have given very precise information and asked the right questions. Now I can give you a recommendation to hopefully save you some money and also give you the resolution you are wanting. :D

This card HERE all though not a high brand name should do what you need. ;)
The specs on this card show it will do:

Dual 400MHz RAMDACs
Blazing-fast RAMDACs support dual QXGA displays with ultra-high, ergonomic refresh rates-up to 2048x1536@85Hz.

;)
It looks ot have both analog and digital monitor connections so it will work with older CRT type monitors and the newer LCD monitors.
Let me know what you think.

kincol9

kincol9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again, looks straightforward enough. This has been my first help forum, I plan on returning to this site in the future due to your expediency.

Have a nice day.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please if you have any questions or need help in installing the card let me know. I will be happy to include any instructions and\or pics to help you connect in the right slot and assure a smooth upgrade to your system.
Thank you again for a rewarding and honored time assisting you. Please let me know how it all turns out in the end as we like to know.
BTW just a FYI your integrated video card will release the 64 megs of memory it is using when you install the new card. This will give you more free memory for your system and thus hopefully allow smoother transitions between programs.