Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent noise on phone line & internet cut-outs

• Please log in to reply

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello

I use a broadband service from adsl24.co.uk and I've had a bad internet connection with cut-outs every day (at different times of the day) for well over 15 months and experienced a lot of intermittent noise on my BT phone line.

Last year I reported a noise fault on my phone line and BT sent engineers out to :
1) replace the phone cable from my house to the telephone pole outside.
2) replace the phone socket in my house with a BT v1.0 phone socket cover with a filter built into it. Please note that I only have 1 socket installed in my house.

I wasn't charged for those replacements, but it did not completely resolve the problem and since then my connection has become slower and more disrupted.

My IP profile for downstream connection used to be around 4500 Kbps, but it has dropped gradually to just 250 Kbps.

I have tested different parts of my own equipment within my setup at home :
a) 4 different modem routers (3 of which are Netgear DG834G, DG834GT, DGN1000)
b) 3 different corded phones and 1 cordless phone
c) about 10 different filters (4 of which are brand-new BT filters and also the BT v1.0 phone socket cover with a filter built into it)
d) 2 laptops and 1 desktop computer

Using different pieces of my equipment did not isolate the problem, so I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with my equipment.

If I just plug a corded phone into the test socket, there is no noise on 99% of BT quiet line tests.
But once I plug a filter into the test socket and attach a corded phone and modem router to the filter, I can often detect hissing and crackling on the phone line during a BT quiet line test; the noise on the phone line can be so great that I cannot have a telephone conversation unless I take out the filter and plug my corded phone into the test socket.

It doesn't matter how many filters I test or which filter I use, the problem still remains.

I've used a program called "RouterStats" and kept screenshots of line graphs to show when the noise margin has repeatedly sunk to 0 decibels and lead to no internet connection. Cut-out rates vary from 3 minutes apart to 30 minutes apart.

My internet service provider (adsl24.co.uk) cannot explain why there is more noise on the phone line when any filter is used (with a phone and modem router connected) than when a phone is plugged directly into the test socket. My ISP also said that BT will not perform a "lift and shift" at their exchange until they have sent another engineer out to investigate the problem again. However, I am reluctant to call out another BT engineer because the noise on the line is intermittent. The engineer could arrive and detect no noise on the line and then 20 minutes after they are gone the noise could occur again; I would be charged approximately £160 and the problem would not be solved.

I'm not really getting much satisfaction from either BT or my ISP and this problem has been going on for far too long.
Can you please help me with this problem and advise me of the next step(s) that I must take?

Thank you.

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• BT speedtest 2010-10-07 1750.JPG

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hello

I use a broadband service from adsl24.co.uk and I've had a bad internet connection with cut-outs every day (at different times of the day) for well over 15 months and experienced a lot of intermittent noise on my BT phone line.

Nothing new here then according to this, you're not the only one.
http://www.ispreview...oducts/543.html

The user feedback is classic signs of an ISP that's either oversubscribed or underfunded.

Your report seems fairly comprehensive, the only thing you haven't changed is the provider. Plugging a telephone line in will succeed on a quiet line test because the line noise is usually caused on the broadband side by means of leakage, and leakage itself is usually caused because of a faulty filter. However you have used too many filters and they can't all be faulty, I would be very surprised if any of them are faulty.

A lift-and-shift solution involves physical work at the exchange and also does not guarantee to solve the problem.
By the way if you're using a filtered master socket such as this:
http://www.kitz.co.u...plate_large.jpg

You don't need any filters. Broadband in the one side, phone on the other. No filter on the outside required whatsoever on that socket.

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks very much for your reply, Neil. My master socket is exactly the same as the one in the picture you've attached. I'm going to follow your advice and look for another ISP.