Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't start up

• Please log in to reply

funiwant

funiwant

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
i did a search and couldn't find what i was looking for or a similar problem. when i push the power button my computer seems to want to start but on the screen it show the Pentium 4 screen and doesn't go any further, just stays on that screen. also have been having problems with restart, when i would try to restart or when a prgram needed to restart the computer it has been getting stuck on the p4 screen and i would have to hold the power button until the maching turned off then restart. now it won't even start at all, just goes to the pentium screen. hopefully i am explaining it right, any suggestions? thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi funiwant, sorry to hear you are having this issue.
You need to provide some information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard any add on
card and psu details would also help others to help you more efficiently.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Disconnect the power cable, open the box and take out the CMOS battery out for 10-15 minutes. Reinstall, boot to BIOS (setup) and set time and date.

The CMOS battery looks like a watch battery but somewhat larger. Take care when you pull it out.

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
thanks guys, sorry it took so long to get back on. the problem is being caused by my external dvd drive, next time i guess i will just start unplugging things till it starts or to eliminate any add-ons. have a good one.

Edited by funiwant, 11 October 2010 - 03:34 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Thanks for the update I am happy to hear you got it sorted ;) :D

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
wait, it's not my dvd drive, it appears to be my external hdd causing the problem, i think it is trying to load that first and that is causing my computer to freeze, when i disconnect my external hdd, it restarts like it should. what could be causing this?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
One possibility is your CMOS is set to try and boot from your external hard drive (USB devices) before it attempts to boot from the internal hard drive.

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

One possibility is your CMOS is set to try and boot from your external hard drive (USB devices) before it attempts to boot from the internal hard drive.

how do i check for that, and if it were, how do i change it?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

how do i check for that,

In the CMOS/BIOS Setup.

and if it were, how do i change it?

It usually tells you right on the screen. For example:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
to get there, is that where i start pushing f# at start up? also why when i do a hard restart it starts normally?

Edited by funiwant, 17 October 2010 - 11:10 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Exactly which key you push depends on the brand, model and revision number of your computer (motherboard bios). Here are a few examples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok, i took some pic, hope they help, but from my very limited knowledge, i think it is booting right, i don't even see my external drive. must be under usb tab or something. how about in the pic 0201 usb boot enable, is that to be enabled or disabled? hope this helps a little.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0191.jpg
  • IMAG0192.jpg
  • IMAG0193.jpg
  • IMAG0194.jpg
  • IMAG0195.jpg
  • IMAG0196.jpg
  • IMAG0197.jpg
  • IMAG0199.jpg
  • IMAG0200.jpg
  • IMAG0201.jpg

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
In the 10th (and 7th) pic, try setting "USB Boot" to "Disabled".

funiwant

funiwant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
thanks, didn't make any difference, still stalls on restart. i have sent an email to the manufacturer of the external hard drive(Western Digital) i have a My Book Essential 2 TB external hdd. hopfully they will have something to fix this, i will post what they reply with.

beckmancameron

beckmancameron

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Problem with some software installed or some change made to the system.You need to open the computer with safety mode, uninstall the software or change.
If not open with safety mode-- problem may be hardware or boot level files affected.
To open safety mode, during booting press f6 or f7.

Edited by beckmancameron, 20 October 2010 - 06:06 AM.