Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory Incompatibility or something else?

• Please log in to reply

DACJR

DACJR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have an ASUS P7P55D Deluxe motherboard. This motherboard has leds on it to help pinpoint POST problems. With the CPU, video card, and memory installed I get a blank screen with no beeps, but the VGA light is lit up. If I take the memory and video card out I get memory error beeps and the memory light. I have not installed memory from the motherboards manual QVL. It's hard to find the exact P/N from online retailers. Crucials website suggested the memory for my exact motherboard. However, Crucial is not highly supported according the QVL. I just want to know if the problem could be a defective motherboard or something else. The motherboard lights up and the fans spin. The MemOK feature even shows signs of functioning. Here's a link to the motherboard.

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe

I have a 750W PSU and an Intel Core i5 655k

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The QVL list on its own is only what Asus have actually tested with that board, they cannot test absolutely everything and then some more. The board will support far more memory than that listed on the QVL list.

Crucial memory, if you buy it direct from Crucial by looking up the board on the website, is guaranteed to work with the board or Crucial will refund you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Have you tried another screen (a laptop with vga port will do) and checked the pc to monitor lead for
damage including bent pins in the end connectors, refit and make sure it is secure at the pc and screen.
Have you tried one stick of Ram at a time in each slot until each stick has been tested in each slot?
If not do this and if any work in a certain slot make a note of it, also have you tried no Ram but the
video card in and if so any beeps, likewise Ram fitted but no video card fitted, any beeps.
You havn`t provided the specs of your Ram so we don`t know how many sticks or what speed etc, also what
are the video card and psu details (psu 750W noted), make and model details please.
If you have or could loan another video card it would help, also try clearing the CMOS by removing the
silver CR2032 MB battery for a while and then replace it, use a new one if you can it may be defective.
I hope one of the above helps get things sorted for you and best of luck.

DACJR

DACJR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
PSU
CPU
Video
2 x 2GB kit Crucial Ballistix 1600

Tried each stick in every slot, still get a VGA light and no beeps. Memory without video card gets no beeps, VGA light. The only way to get any beeps is with no memory in any slot, even with a VGA card and no memory. Tried the standard VGA port and HDMI on video card, blank screen. Checked the seating of memory and video card also.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Have you tried another screen (a laptop with vga port will do) and checked the pc to monitor lead for
damage including bent pins in the end connectors

If you have or could loan another video card it would help, also try clearing the CMOS by removing the
silver CR2032 MB battery for a while and then replace it, use a new one if you can it may be defective

I have only read good reviews for the psu and none bad, whilst it doesn`t rule it out altogether it does seem to point to the problem being elsewhere, video card or video card slot on the MB, trying another card if you can is the way forward at present but try clearing the CMOS first the MB may just need re-setting to the factory default settings.

DACJR

DACJR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
All my cables and monitor inputs work fine. I tested the memory and video card in another computer and they seemed fine also. I was leaning towards a defective motherboard so I went ahead and exchanged it. Installed the new one and it started right up.

I had a little concern over my processor and CoolIT ECO A.L.C installation. I'm using ArcticCooler MX-3 thermal compound. When I first installed it and took it back off I noticed that the bottom right corner did not make contact with the CPU. I think it's because of a rivet on the CPU plate on the back side of the motherboard. I loosened the top left screw up some cause it was the one being held on that rivet. Anyway, my CPU is idling at about 22C and got up 40C while I was installing software. What I'm wondering is if that is a good temperature for a liquid cooler and quality thermal grease or if I should check the heatsinks contact with the CPU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Thanks for the update I am happy you have got it sorted :D
They are not bad temperatures you are getting there it sound like you have installed the unit correctly.
Take a look at the link below and you will get some feedback on others using the unit and their op temps;
http://coolitsystems...-new-build.html

DACJR

DACJR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for posting a link to that thread. I found a new problem. My CPU fan is not running as high as it should. I adjusted the settings and I can only get it to go up to 1756rpms. It was at 818. Probably going to have to buy an adapter for 4-pin molex.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
I know you are in the US but I just wanted to point you towards some options/ideas and scythe is US and UK based!
http://www.maplin.co...46921&doy=28m12
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/

Edited by phillpower2, 16 October 2010 - 03:17 AM.