Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extending a primary partition, Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

iamjohn

iamjohn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently had to reinstall Windows 7. When doing so I created 2 partitions but the old windows files were automatically moved to my C (windows) partition. When I removed this data I was able to shrink the partition but was then unable to extend the data partition, which had been set up as a primary partition. Is there a way to get around this in Windows or do I need to use external software? Thank you for any help, John

Advertisements

Spirit Wolfe

Spirit Wolfe

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello:

When you reinstalled Windows 7 was it a CLEAN install? (Meaning formatted the HD with Windows 7 and had it create the partitions?) If yes, then Windows 7 (retail anyway) creates TWO partitions initially. A system partition, which is only a 100MB and the rest of the drive for your drive "C".

There is a way under the Windows 7 setup to extend the partition to maximize the full hard drive. But DO NOT delete that mini 100mb partition that Windows 7 initially creates or you will have potential problems down the road.

I have heard that Windows' format command still leaves a "residue" of the old install of Windows on the hard drive even though you think you have "formatted" the drive. I have Seagate hard drives and someone suggested to me to go to the Seagate website and download the SeaTools ISO and create a Bootable CD and use this utility to format the drive and not the Windows 7 format command. Depending what hard drive you have each drive manufacturer has their own flavors of utilities like this.

IMHO, you should not create a second partition with any hard drive that is less than 1TB (terabyte) in size because Windows 7 MAXES OUT, for a retail / OEM one computer install at 1TB. This is the reason that, IMHO, you should not partition the drive if it is 1TB or less, other than that initial 100MB system partition that Windows install instills on the hard drive when doing a clean install of the Windows 7 OS...

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Spirit Wolfe:D