Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can not log into Windows Xp Professional PC

• Please log in to reply

Dreier

Dreier

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am not an IT professional but work for a small company and get to handle all things "IT". I recently added some new pcs to our network and all went well. But, when I went to start up one of the old pcs to put it back on the network as a back-up I discovered that I had made the error of naming one of the new pcs the same computer name as the old one. So, long story short I figured out how to get the new one back on properly and it is fine. I then disconnected the old one from the network and renamed it to something else. Now, I can not get logged on regardless of what username and password I use. I have tried administrator with and without passwords and nothing works. I am at a loss!!

Advertisements

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It seems you may have the same problem as a lot of folks who change the host name of a PC that belongs to a Windows Active Directory domain.

Try this http://www.petri.co....mputer-name.htm