Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speech of geeks is different, than usual peoples'.

• Please log in to reply

ancient_dude

ancient_dude

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everybody. I'm recently been interested in how smart people speaks. Since there's not many people around here, in my country, at least none, that i know of, i transferred this question to the internet. Since my IQ is quite high, i speak differently, so here's a few variants of how i sometimes say a few things:

You think, that your friend is stupid, which makes you think, that he cannot be your friend, which means you don't wanna be friends with him, which means you are friends only for some thing, which means, he's or you are using each other. <------- Now that could be my one sentence.

This book contains very abstract information, on how to deal with such a situation, although you can concrete it in your head and make it useful for your every day life, instead of just trowing it away. <--- Just a simple discussion with a friend, let's say.

And such sentences, sometimes using words others doesn't know, or just making even longer sentences, or confusing to others.

So my question is... Are other high IQ people speaking that way too? If not (for looking weird for example), would you be speaking like that, if you wouldn't care about others' opinion about how you speak?

If however the answer is no, do you think, that speaking like that is weird?

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I'm recently been interested in how smart people speaks

at least none, that i know of, i

Ooooo, fun thread! I'm pretty sure that smart people speaks using lots and lots of correct grammar.

Take this conversation between two high IQ intellects for example vs that of the commoner:

High IQ 1:
"Excuse me my good fellow, but have you the time? I mustn't be late for my luncheon. Invigorating subsistence sharpens one's cognitive patterns about the higher order Psychodynamics beyond psycho-physical parallelistic perceptions of the Dark Contra-positive contrastive Nerdnderthal Vercianian-Physical boundary of abstract ludicrousious cognitive Neo-nerd brain patterns. 'Tis a most enigmatic subject, and one shouldn't do such higher-order calculations in one's head without having lunched firstly and foremostly."

High IQ 2:
"Ahhh, finally! Another raving intellect that could offer a most luciferous view of the higher order Psychodynamics beyond psycho-physical parallelistic perceptions of the Dark Contra-positive contrastive Nerdnderthal Vercianian-Physical boundary of abstract ludicrousious cognitive Neo-nerd brain patterns! Why yes the time is 12:31 PM, as you can deduce from the light reflecting from that window over there."

High IQ 1:
"Ahhh, a kindred being? I am indeed superfluously in fortune today! Why my good fellow, would you like to re-quantify your position in the space-time continuum and join me for a superb luncheon?"

High IQ 2:
"Why of course my good fellow non-Palestinian! I'd be delighted to re-quantify my position in the space-time continuum and join you for a superb luncheon!"

VS. the commoner equivalent:

Commoner 1:
"Hey buddy, got the time?"

Commoner 2:
"Yeah it's 12:30."

Commoner 1:
"Sweet! I see you also wear a "Giraffes with Mustaches" T-Shirt! Let's go get lunch together!"

Commoner 2:
"Fo Shizzle! Let's go!"

Higher IQ peoples know that making a sentence far more complicated than it needs to be implies smartness. Pah, commoner fools...that'll learn 'em!

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I'd say:

"Hey dude, are you okay?"

By the way, welcome to GeeksToGo forum.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
ancient_dude, I'm curious as to your point. You claim to be smart, a point with which I won't argue; however, English doesn't appear to be your primary language, so I'm curious why you would choose to start a discussion such as this in a language with which you're not comfortable.

ancient_dude

ancient_dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

ancient_dude, I'm curious as to your point. You claim to be smart, a point with which I won't argue; however, English doesn't appear to be your primary language, so I'm curious why you would choose to start a discussion such as this in a language with which you're not comfortable.

Because our country is not that sociable, we have not very many smart people around here, most of them cares about partying. And we have no such communities on the internet, where smart people groups. I've been searching for a quite some time, and I've found nothing, not even a blog about something like that, not even a blog of some developer, a programmer, if we talk my on profession's topic, for which I've been looking to group with someone, to have some friends with similar interests.

So in single sentence - I decided to ask in some community about this, after failing to find at least a small community of my country's of smart people.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Because our country is not that sociable, we have not very many smart people around here, most of them cares about partying. And we have no such communities on the internet, where smart people groups.

The Internet is full of smart people. Without smart people G2G won't even exist.

I've been searching for a quite some time, and I've found nothing, not even a blog about something like that, not even a blog of some developer, a programmer, if we talk my on profession's topic, for which I've been looking to group with someone, to have some friends with similar interests.

Computer blogs are all over the Internet. What exactly are you looking for? This is G2G, a forum devoted to COMPUTERS. If you want to talk about computers or programming, just talk. We are here to listen.

Again on the "speech" issue: your sentences are just too complex and redundant. Geeks do not speak that way, as far as I know.

P/s: I am not very smart, but I don't care about partying. Correlation does not imply causation.
And English isn't my mother tongue. Please bear with me.

rubber7

rubber7

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
This is quite an interesting topic. I however wouldn't say that a smart person speaks a certain way. There are a load of different types of smartness out there, some people are lucky and can think in a very analytical way to solve problems, but then they are REALLY bad in communicating with people... then you get those that can converse with anybody, and get along with anyone because they have a very high EQ (emotional quotient).

We all have our strong points and our weak points, just cause you might get a higher grade in a paper doesn't mean that you can talk yourself out of a bad situation by reading the situation itself.

That is why I love this quote so much: Knowledge talks, wisdom listens.

ancient_dude

ancient_dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

We all have our strong points and our weak points, just cause you might get a higher grade in a paper doesn't mean that you can talk yourself out of a bad situation by reading the situation itself.

That's what I think. Although, You cannot get anywhere without a paper these times, unless you have a powerful parents/a lot of money/powerful friends. Or if you are in something like programming, like me for example, and you have friends to program with, then you can create something really good. But you have to have good friends too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now that I expressed my feelings about a rare thinking, which I like about that sphere, some other comment..

There are a load of different types of smartness out there

Yes, that is very true. For example - I'm good with things, that needs logical and analytical thinking. Figuring things out, judging things, reading things, understanding hard-to-understand things. Example:

I calculate things in my mind, not on paper, in ~2-3 minutes, while everyone else is doing that for 20-30 minutes (literally) on the paper in maths class. However, I am unable to calculate fractions, roots, equations and other stuff like that. I just cannot do that, I do not understand them, however hard I try. I get.. I guess F in the American style grades. I do calculate some easy in my mind, but since I cannot explain them, I get 0 points.

I can do a big, hard-to-understand algorithm of some stuff drawing, movement or AI in programming, but I cannot do physics, which is perfect, or a perfect collision algorithm.

I can understand, what people mean, when they are talking about some hidden, or deep meaning, but I do not understand lyrical context or sometimes plain question, which would be asked of a regular person.

I can read people's mind, but i cannot express my emotions to feel like a nice to talk person.

And here we come to my thread - I can say a big, complex sentence about some facts, theories, "which means" things, but It's hard for me to express, what I think about something, or explain how something works.

------------------------------------------------------

Yea, little too many examples, but anyway. :D It's very true. However, I do speak in a deep, strange to some people, way. Use more complex words often. Here's a situation: A week ago, i told something to my teacher, only me and one of my classmates understood, what i said - i used too many complex words... So yea.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Knowledge talks, wisdom listens.

Yes, I've a friend, who knows a lot, but most of the things he knows - TV BS. So he's basically filled of BS. But he does know a lot. He does know some good facts too.
However, his IQ is ~80. He's a regular person. He cannot understand some simple things, think about some simple things, figure out simple things... He cannot feel the difference between an actual lie, which is obvious and the truth, etc. But he knows a lot.

I think, Imma but this quotation on my Skype. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer blogs are all over the Internet. What exactly are you looking for?

I'm looking for a forum with smart people. In our country, I managed to find 3 forums about computers. One of them was dead. Two other had 1 administrator, and one of them one moderator, who were answering questions, and MANY other people, who were asking for really stupid questions. I never asked such a question, and i learned everything by myself. I doubt, they are very smart, since they cannot figure simple things out.
And keep in mind - there's only 1 and 2 persons in those forums, who are actually answering questions. Being in reply mode and forming their sentences not in question form.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hm. Okay, so... rubber's got the point actually here. Well, not the whole point. You said, that we are smart in a different way, to which i agreed with many examples. However, as I said - I have a hard time explaining myself, expressing my emotions feelings and thoughts about every day life things. But I still speak in a different way, that most of the people around me does. I use complex words, use complex dictionary, use complex examples and use one of the most solid ways of very gentle humor often - sarcasm. Sarcasm is not understood by everyone. So this partially deflects your argument about my question, because it's not always, rather rarely, determined by the category of where the guy/girl is smart at.
I'm not speaking about speaking geniuses, like Hitler for example (Hey, no flaming here, just a good example, not a fan of his).

Anyway, this thread is quite inactive, I'd say. I mean... If you are smart - C'mon, tell us your opinion, write something, write your story, what you are smart at, I can see how you speak then, if you don't know, if you speak like a regular person. If your IQ's over 120, you'r half-genius, Express yourself. ;) That's why I created this thread, after all - to get known how you speak.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just a thought http://www.geekstogo...erger-syndrome/

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
It all depends on which kind of intelligence one has. I personally do not use that big of a vocabulary, but I pride myself in my ability for logical thinking and for my ability to analyze information. Some are better at memorizing enormous sums of information and simply "giving it back" whenever they please (the way USA schools systems are attempting to make all students). The rest of us are far better at taking a small portion of information and thinking it over to draw much broader conclusions. I enjoy creating ideas and formulating my own.

Unfortunately, this is not possible if I do not know HOW something works and WHY. Both questions are hardly answered in the modern day math class.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello ancient_dude: :)

Do you know what KISS stands for?

Please Scroll Down

Please Scroll Down

Please Scroll Down

Please Scroll Down

Please Scroll Down

Keep It Simple Stupid