Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
We have a computer on our Win2000 network running XP Home. We ordered it in error about a year ago, but it was working okay so we didn't return it for XP Pro. Unfortunately, now we have to upgrade our accounting system and the upgrade won't support XP Home. I've ordered the XP Pro upgrade with SP2 (the Home program also has SP2). Can anyone tell me if I perform the upgrade instead of a clean install, will this be sufficient?

Thanks!
Anne

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Do you have a choice? When i do things like this i prefer to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have a choice. I know a clean install is always the best way, but I just thought I'd see if the upgrade would work okay, only because it's easier. I guess I really should do a clean install, though.

Thanks for your input.
Anne

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Most of the time an upgrade from XP home to XP prof. goes uninterupted. You already know that your hardware is compatible since you already have XP home on the computer so this problem wouldnt show.