Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

set--root /bootmgr

• Please log in to reply

roninuk1

roninuk1

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys, thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

My laptop went dolally a few weeks ago and I have now tried to fix it. Nothing would work so I finally managed to re-install Vista. However, after the install, I got to choose the language, keyboard etc etc, setup a new user id and choose a background and then.......

All I get now is (This is how it reads on screen)

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
Vista Loader 2.1.2

Done!
fallback 1
find --set-root /bootmgr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'

fallback 2
find --set-root /ntldr

Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Enter Command Lane'

Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line.

it then displays the following

GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 2007-03-13, Memory: 639K / 1011M, CodeEnd: 0x3D7BC

{ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of device/filename. ESC at any time exits. }

grub>

I did a search on google for the error which seemed to suggest putting the bootmgr into uppercase. I tried this and it did not work. When pressing ESC it takes me to a screen where it has 3 options,

Windows Vista
Windows NT/2000/XP
Enter Command Line

Underneath these it has options as follows; Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the commands before booting, or 'c' for a command line.
I edited the windows vista as i said before with bootmgr in uppercase, but it neither save it or worked.

I am hoping you guys have a solution to this. I cannot even get back to the CD drive to re-install Vista. If you do know what to do, please could you list it step by step as I am fairly unaware of the internal working of the OS system.

Thank You
Simon

Advertisements

ParagonGeek

ParagonGeek

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sounds like you are using a hacked/bootleg Vista install CD/DVD using Vista Loader 2.1.2 OEM Bios Crack emulator and GRUB4DOS. Please purchase a valid installation CD/DVD.

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
Vista Loader 2.1.2
GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 2007-03-13, Memory: 639K / 1011M, CodeEnd: 0x3D7BC

Information:

Vista Loader is a crack for Windows Vista activation, where the software based loader emu is installed as boot loader to emulate BIOS with SLIC table of selected OEM ID into memory during system startup, and thus trick Windows Vista into believing that the BIOS is of genuine OEM product to achieve instant OEM activation.

Edited by ParagonGeek, 08 October 2010 - 07:29 PM.

roninuk1

roninuk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Paragon, thats what I thought i'd have to do.

I did not get a vista disc with either of my laptops or desktop pc's, it was all preloaded.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Q:What is the genuine Windows offer?
A:
The Microsoft genuine Windows offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP by offering those who qualify a complimentary copy or electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft...nloads/faq.aspx

Check it out. :D

roninuk1

roninuk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for that info, I will check it out.