Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp randomly logs out

• Please log in to reply

jacksgw

jacksgw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My friends computer randomly logs out to the user account selection screen. It was doing this a lot so I suggested running anti virus programs and anti malware etc. Cleaned up a lot of viruses, spyware and malware. Problem is that it still does it randomly. What else should I be looking for?

Edit... We have the hibernate and all power saving options disabled.

Edited by jacksgw, 09 October 2010 - 08:59 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Which anti-virus and anti-spyware have you used
Have you also used a registry cleaner - DO NOT, but have you.

jacksgw

jacksgw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We used AVG Free, Norton, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Hitman & Super AntiSpyware. All run separately. He said that the only registry cleaner he used was Norton's.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which one or two are actually running please. I presume you do have one running as real time protection.

jacksgw

jacksgw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
He is running AVG and Malwarebytes normally.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Malwarebytes does not offer real time protection in the free version.
If he has the paid for version, do NOT run two anti-virus programs at the same time.

Check the computers time and date, do they stay correct when it is swtiched off. If not the CMOS battery on the motherboard is likely flat.
This can cause all sorts of problems.

Run chkdsk, right click the HDD carrying Windows and the main file systems, click properties, click tools, click error checking, click check now, click to check the box, "automatically fix file system errors" click Start, agre to run on restart and so so, DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk.
Wait for the results, did it find errors. pls report on next post.

Then go Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without quote marks and note space nwteen sfc and /. This is System File checker. You may be asked for the XP CD. If so insert it. SFC will not report a result, unless something cannot be fixed. It will just complete.

Is the computer now stable.

If not start in Clean boot see this and then IS IT stable.
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

If so please post and I will give you another link to run a program so that we can see exactly what is on the computer and what is running automatically etc.

If it is still not stable GO Control Panel, User Accounts and create another account. If there is ONE admin account and one limited account, create another administrator account. Then shut down and reboot into the new account. Is it now stable. See this for how to create account
http://support.micro...kb/279783/en-us

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 October 2010 - 07:12 PM.