Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Switch? Hub? Access point?

• Please log in to reply

King Belshazzar

King Belshazzar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings all. Forum noob here. I've got a question. I have my computers on a Netgear Wireless N router and that router is connected to a DSL modem. I have a room that is so far from the router that it took a 75-foot wire to reach the PC there. Now, I would like to use a 2nd PC there but the wireless signal isn't reaching. I'd like to be able to use the network wire without removing it from the 1st PC, but I don't necessarily need to use the two computers at the same time. What do I need to buy? I'm confused about the terminology and function of routers, switches, hubs, repeaters and access points, so I can't figure out what to search for. Thanks to anyone who would like to comment.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
UK site but the principle is the same and they're available globally:
http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/

In a nutshell: Take the 75 foot cable out. You don't need it.
Buy three homeplugs.

Plug one into a power socket by the router, and run a network cable from it to an available connection on the router, and switch the plug on at the wall.
At the 1st PC, plug the second homeplug in to a near plug and run a cable from it to the network port on the back of the computer.
Repeat for the 2nd PC.

Providing all the electrical sockets in the house go through the same fuse box (which is the situation for most households), HomePlug will work. Need to move the PC at a later date? Not a problem. Just unplug it and plug it in again somewhee else.

King Belshazzar

King Belshazzar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nice solution. Thanks, Neil.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you did want to keep the ethernet cable that you've already run across the house, you'd want to get a wireless access point for the remote end of the cable.

King Belshazzar

King Belshazzar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, dsenette. I sort of wondered if that's what an access point does. I was unsure though, because I didn't understand if that something that works for ordinary home DSL service or if that's for an office network.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a wireless access point is basically just a wireless switch. it connects to your existing wired network then gives you a way to connect to said wired network. just like a switch except wireless