Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SMART Failure message

• Please log in to reply

zink

zink

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. About a month ago I received this message:

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4: ST9160821AS-(S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to Continue

Well my F1 key is not working. How do I back up my data if the F1 key doesn't work?

Also, I purchased a new hard drive but it's not working either. All I get is a flashing curser and a clicking noise.

Hope someone can help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi zink
You will need to install an OS on the new HDD and I recommend you format the HDD first.
If you have a Vista disk you will need to check that the BIOS is set to boot from the
CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second.

zink

zink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. Well I'm not computer literate so you might need to explain how to do these things. I do not have a CD for the bios or the operating system. None of my (F)keys will not or do not work. Just that message appears. Can you explain the whole process of formatting the new HDD, in stupid form for me? Thanks.

Edited by zink, 10 October 2010 - 04:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Ok no problem, I didn`t go into too much detail to start with in case you had already done what I suggested.
Your new HDD will not have an OS (operating system) on it such as Vista, so you will need to install one and
for this you will need a Windows disk, as the drive is basically blank there are no drivers on it that the
computer needs to function, Windows will install the basic drivers that you need and you will need to then
either install the other drivers from a disk that came with the laptop or download them from the correct website.
Your laptop should have a Windows COA (code of authenticity) sticker on it possibly on the bottom, so if you do
not have your own installation disk you would need to loan a copy of the same version or above and enter your
code when asked for it by the software.
If you cannot do this unfortunately you may need to purchase a new disk and product key, or ask HP
if they can provide you with a clone of the original installation disk that they used (they would charge you for this).
Formatting the HDD is done before a fresh installation as it makes a clean install more likely.
Hope this information helps and if I can be of further assistance please ask.