Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding additional RAM question.

• Please log in to reply

Puddings

Puddings

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is a Dell Dimension E521.
It has 4 RAM slots.
Atm, I have 3 sticks of RAM in it.
1x 1GB PC2-5300 (333 MHz) by Nanya Tech
2x 512MB PC2-4300 (266 MHz) by Samsung
I also have
2x 512MB PC2-5300 (555 MHz) by Samsung
From what I've read, different RAM types don't really mix too well. If the speed of 1 is lower than the others, than they all run at that lower speed. (or something...)
I was wondering if it would run faster if I had just the two 555 Mhz RAM sticks in there instead of having the 1 GB and 3 of the other ones? Also, if so, will it be a big difference? Should I just use 4 of them anyway, or only use the 2?
I know it doesn't affect computer speed directly, but yeah..
I use the computer for gaming and watching movies, mostly. If that helps.
And I know RAM is cheap and I should just buy 4 matching ones and blah blah blah, but I'm just wondering about these since I have them.
Thanks in advance for any advice/comments/flaming.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This is what type your system can hold:

533-MHz, 667-MHz, 800-MHz DDR2 SDRAM to a maximum of 4gb

DIMM connectors must be populated in numerical order beginning with connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2, then connectors DIMM_3 and DIMM_4.

If a single DIMM is installed, you must install it in connector DIMM_1.

For best performance, memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. (See the label on the module to determine the module's capacity.) For example, if you install a mixed pair of DDR2 533-MHz and DDR2 667-MHz memory, the modules function at the slowest speed installed.

Also if you install 3 DIMM they will not operate in Dual channel mode but in single, for best performance install in sets of two.

Puddings

Puddings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So basically... installing 2 of the same ram in the 1-2 or 3-4 slots would give the best performance?
The reduction in performance you are talking about is the stronger of the two running at the weaker one's speed?
If that's the case, should I have the 512 (555 MHz) Ram in the first two slots? Since it's the fastest?
And in the 3/4 slot, I would be better off with the other 2x 512 (266 MHz) RAM? Or the 1x 1 GB one and an empty slot?
Thanks for the response btw and sorry, I'm sure I sound noobish :|

Edited by Puddings, 10 October 2010 - 05:48 PM.