Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Set up Wireless Network at Uni

• Please log in to reply

nukemben

nukemben

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi All,

I have just started Uni and at our end of the halls of residence we get no wireless signal unless we sit in our kitchen window when we can just about pick up the campus wireless momentarily. So we are limited to getting internet from our own bedrooms via ethernet ports which we are each provided one of.

Is there a way we can either rebroadcast that wireless signal at a half way point? Or can we plug a device into one of the ethernet ports which can then act as sort of a wireless access point type thing? As it would be awesome to be able to use our laptops/phones wirelessly again.

I have with me an ADSL Netgear DGN2000 which has quite a few capabilites. A Desktop PC with 1 Ethernet port. And several laptops with Wireless/Ethernet Ports.

Hopefully the above makes sense, any ideas?

Advertisements

nukemben

nukemben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wahey, got it figured, disabled DCHP+NAT and now its running smoothly.

Any recommendations on what I can do to mask me doing this? I will check with IT tomorrow though and see if it is against the rules or not to make my own little network bit!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do not mask it.
It is up to your IT department as to whether they will allow you to do what you're doing. If they say you can't do it, then please don't do it.