Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

T3256 Emachines cannot startup

• Please log in to reply

everdugo

everdugo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have an emachines T3256 that will not boot, even with the recovery disk. The screen is black except for the message at the top ("disk boot failure, please insert recovery disk and press 'enter'", and a blinking cursor below. I put in the recovery disk and press enter and nothing happens. I am concerned about using the recovery disk in any event because I have files on the machine that are no backed up. Prior to this, I was having some problems with the machine turning on (the LED on switch, but no initiation of the monitor. I had to force quit a few times. Hope all this info helps- here are the spec's for the machine:

ype AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / 2.2 GHz
Installed Qty 1.0
Max Supported Qty 1.0
Cache Memory
Type L2 cache
Installed Size 512.0 KB
Cache Per Processor 512 KB
Mainboard
Chipset type NVIDIA nForce2 IGP
Data bus speed 400.0 MHz
RAM
Technology DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed 333.0 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2700
Form Factor DIMM 184-pin

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Emilio Verdugo

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi everdugo :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I put in the recovery disk and press enter and nothing happens. I am concerned about using the recovery disk in any event because I have files on the machine that are no backed up

To avoid losing your data you could 1: Use a USB HDD enclosure to put the HDD drive in and copy it across to another computer and then copy it back when the issue is resolved.
2: Install the HDD in another computer as a slave drive and copy the data across to the master, refit the HDD back into the original computer, set the computers BIOS so the computer boots from the CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, save the settings and exit, place the first recovery disk in the drive and re-start the computer, if all is well you should only have to follow the on screen instructions.
You are right to worry about losing your data as using the recovery procedure will wipe the HDD.

Prior to this, I was having some problems with the machine turning on (the LED on switch, but no initiation of the monitor

It is possible with the previous symptoms you mention that the psu has failed and so is not providing power to the drives, the best way of checking this is by swapping the present psu with a known good one, I have included a link to your user manual in case you do not have one and for others who may offer assistance.
http://downloads.ema...exgen2_3_en.pdf

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I want to make sure that I understand your instructions. A USB HDD enclosure would be a device I could use by removing the internal hard drive (HDD?) from the computer and the device would provide a USB hookup so I could copy my files onto another computer as a slave drive, right? I have two western digital external hard drives, do you think I could use one of those enclosures to do the job or would it be better to buy a separate unit?

As far as using BIOS to set the CD drive as the boot drive. I will look that up on the windows site. Sorry, I am pretty good at following instructions but lack much of the terminology. The PSU is the power supply unit? Just so I am clear enough for you to help, it seemed that the computer was powered on, but that it was in sleep mode and could not be woken up i.e., the monitor, keyboard and mouse were not being triggered by the computer. I don't know if that changes where to look for the problem.

Thanks for your advice,

Emilio Verdugo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi again everdugo, no worries I will break down your questions and answer them individually.

A USB HDD enclosure would be a device I could use by removing the internal hard drive (HDD?) from the computer and the device would provide a USB hookup so I could copy my files onto another computer

Correct, but not as a slave device that is when the HDD is installed internally as a second HDD.

I have two western digital external hard drives, do you think I could use one of those enclosures to do the job or would it be better to buy a separate unit?

This is good, remove the present HDD and keep it safe, install one of the other HDDs and we can attempt to get you up and running with one of these, you will not need an enclosure if we are successful as you can then install the HDD with all your data on it as a slave drive and then copy all your data to the master drive.

As far as using BIOS to set the CD drive as the boot drive. I will look that up on the windows site

We will help you with this when you are ready.

The PSU is the power supply unit? Just so I am clear enough for you to help, it seemed that the computer was powered on, but that it was in sleep mode and could not be woken up i.e., the monitor, keyboard and mouse were not being triggered by the computer

The psu is the power supply unit correct, but they are more complex than what the average person wants or needs to know in the fact that they discharge various amounts of voltages and amps to various components, this means that part of the psu may seem functional but another part may not, no display is the most obvious and common sign.
I hope this information is helpful and feel free to ask any further questions you may have, if I cannot answer them someone else will.
Can I just make sure you are aware of the difference between an external USB HDD and a USB HDD enclosure, we would need a hard drive to install in your computer for the way I have explained above, here is an enclosure http://www.novatech....nov-hddock.html

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, let's see if i've got what you are saying. First, the difference between the the USB HDD and the HDD enclosure is that the USB HDD is an external USB hard drive and the HDD enclosure is the docking station you provided the link to which allows me to connect my computer's internal hard drive as an external USB hard drive to another computer as a "slave" so I can save the files before trying to re-initialize (restore the disk in my computer? I think the part that I don't understand is the part about using the HDD as a "second 'internal' hard drive" Meaning connected to another computer via USB and then configuring it as an internal drive? Second, are you proposing that I substitute one of my Western Digital hard disks for the internal HD on my computer hen tou said "install one of the other HDDs and we can attempt to get you up and running with one of these"?

Thanks Again,

Emilio Verdugo

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Also: As far as where to begin, should I remove the internal HD from my computer? If we can lay this out in steps I can follow them.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
1: This is the type of HDD in your computer http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136112
2: This is the type of HDD enclosure you would need http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182153
3: One of these will not help for what we need http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136505
Which one of the above are the 2 Western Digital devices you mention?
When you install 2 HDDs like yours inside a computer they share an IDE ribbon, the end connector goes into the first HDD and so is called the Master HDD, the IDE ribbon has another connector about half way down and this plugs into the second HDD and so is called the Slave drive.
The OS (operating system) must be installed on the Master HDD for the computer to boot.
And yes if you wish to avoid losing any data on your HDD it would be sensible to remove it, to do this safely remove the power cord from the wall first and disconnect any other leads such as printers, speakers etc, remove the side of the case, make a note of the 2 connections from the HDD and disconnect them, remove the HDD and keep it safe, this is about as much as I can tell you at the moment until we establish what the 2 WD components are that you have mentioned earlier.

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Phil, I am sorry that I cannot address this issue at the moment- I have an appointment for about 3 hours. I will remove the hard drive and get the info to you about the WD external drives I have as soon as I get back in. Again, many thanks for your support.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
No problem, I will check back in the morning (it is nearly 11pm in the UK)

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil,

Had to work soon as I got back- here are the WD external Drives and serial numbers:

My Book Essential Edition 250 GB 12/31/2007
warranty expired 3/26/2006
WDG1U2500N †
WCANK9193039
Link: http://support.wdc.c...1U2500N&lang=en

My Book Essential 2 TB 2/12/2012
(489 days left) 1/13/2010
WDBAAF0020HBK-NECS †
WCAVY1125659
Link: http://support.wdc.c...BK-NECS&lang=en

Now regarding what you said I would need:

This is the type of HDD enclosure you would need http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182153
- I would put the HD from my computer into this in order to make it a USB compatible drive, right?

I think I get the part about the IDE ribbon- connects HDD to motherboard? But I hope you have enough info here to see if one of the Western Digital drives I have will serve a purpose.

Cheers,

Emilio

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi Emilio, sorry about the delay getting back!
With this enclosure http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182153 you could put your HDD in it and then transfer your data to another computers HDD and then transfer the data from that computers HDD to one of your WD external HDDs, you could then replace the HDD back into your computer and attempt to use the recovery disks to re-install XP.
The only other way to do this would be to install the HDD into another desktop as a slave HDD and transfer the data to the master HDD on that computer and then transfer it from the master HDD to one of the WD external HDDs.
With a HDD enclosure it would be more straight forward.

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No Problem Phil, we're all busy.

Got it- so the first order of business is for me to order this item, and transfer the files from my computer's HDD, then reinstall the HDD back into my computer to see if I can re-initialize it. I have a lap top I can use to transfer the files from the HDD to the western digital external HD. I will order that item today so I can get moving on this. I will look to see if they have that kind of thing in stock at my local computer store. I will reconnect as soon as I have the HDD files saved and the HDD cleared. One question- should I remove all the files including system files or should I just take off those files I am concerned to save?

Thanks,

Emilio

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Having a laptop is going to save a lot of time and trouble so thats a good start.
Yes I would copy everything across for safety's sake, once you are up and running you can then decide what you want to put back on the original HDD.
Let us know when you are ready to proceed.

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil,

I am trying something different. I bought a second internal drive instead of a new case- additional storage and it can serve as the new master. I have installed the both drives with the old one as the slave, and have installed the recovery disk. Now it is asking me if I want to reformat the disk. The only thing I am worried about is whether it will reformat the old disk which has my files on it. I hooked them up the way you mentioned below- the new drive at the end of the IDE cable and my old drive on the middle position. Can you please confirm that this is correct and whether there are any potential issues I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Emilio

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I forgot to ask- after I format the new master drive, I should copy the files I want from my old (now slave) drive, and once I have the files I want wipe the rest clean?