Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

T3256 Emachines cannot startup

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi Emilio,
Yes that is the correct way you have connected them up, but for peace of mind and to avoid anything possibly going wrong I would disconnect the slave drive until the computer is fully functional.
The problem you are going to have now is you will need an OS disk such as XP or Vista, as the replacement HDD will not be compatible with your recovery disks (unless you are extremely lucky) and it will not have any of your systems drivers on it.

Advertisements

everdugo

everdugo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't know what happened, but I tried restarting my machine without the recovery disk, with my old HDD and the new HDD installed, and it booted from my old HDD. Interestingly, the computer does not seem to recognize the new "slave" drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Hi Emilio,
Yes that is the correct way you have connected them up, but for peace of mind and to avoid anything possibly going wrong I would disconnect the slave drive until the computer is fully functional.
The problem you are going to have now is you will need an OS disk such as XP or Vista, as the replacement HDD will not be compatible with your recovery disks (unless you are extremely lucky) and it will not have any of your systems drivers on it.

Interestingly, the computer does not seem to recognize the new "slave" drive.

The computer has recognized your original HDD as a slave drive, it did not recognize the new HDD as the master for the reasons I explained in post #16 above, you need to remove your original HDD, if the new HDD does not boot you will need to format it and install a new operating system on it, only then can you attach the original HDD as the slave and transfer the data to the new master HDD.