Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen when restart after the start windows screen

• Please log in to reply

Firemunkee

Firemunkee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a sony vaio all in one tower with the monitor together (its my moms comp) I dont know much about it. I just upgraded her vista to windows 7 32-bit which took about 24 hours cause of whatever reason not sure. And now it shows a black screen for a long time after the starting windows screen goes away and before the log in screen. I tried to going to BIOS and starting windows resolution at 640x480 i heard that it might work it did for the first time and now it does the black screen should i go back and change it to the highest resolution or what kind of solutions will u suggest? and i know it was compatible to run win 7 and it met minimum requirements, but when it does finally start to work it runs completely fine, maybe a little slow. please help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Firemunkee :D
What is the model number of the system as there are various specs for them, as you checked the system was compatible with W7 you will know the 32-bit version requires a minimum of 1GB of Ram so if that is all you have fitted that could explain the poor system performance, not enough Ram to go around, 2GB or more should have no issues. http://windows.micro...em-requirements

Firemunkee

Firemunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i thought it had to have a minimum of 2 gb but i dont know. model number is PCG-252L. and it is a sony vaio all in one desktop. and i just realized that the screen is not completely black. if u look at the monitor thru a small amount of light u can very well see the background/ desktop it is very dim/dark.

Firemunkee

Firemunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i also just realized that it has a requirement for directx9 im not sure what that computer is running. i wonder if that is a problem?? and if so how would i go about checking that?? thank u very much for your help!!!

Edited by Firemunkee, 13 October 2010 - 03:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
This now sounds like the screen is the actual issue, obvious question I know but can you turn the brightness up on the actual screen itself and do you have a vga port on the computer that you could attach another screen to.
What you are describing with the screen sounds the same as when the backlight or inverter fails on a laptop screen.
I will see what info I can find using your model number and post back.

Firemunkee

Firemunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well it has directx 11. i turned brightness all the way up <even went all the way down just to see> cant be that. is there a way for chat on this cause we are replying close to the same time?? yes there is a way that a television can hook up. but not another monitor.

Edited by Firemunkee, 13 October 2010 - 03:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
There is not much info available at all for your system is there!
Have you tried the tip at this link http://superuser.com...ite-screen-help
Other than the above all I could find was this which is no help.
The only thing that I can suggest is to attach it to a TV and see if you get a display, if you do get a display it may suggest the inverter/backlight has gone and would need replacing, not an easy job by the looks of the video above.

Firemunkee

Firemunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea not much help at all. thanks for all ur help. it does however have a clear picture before the windows welcome page and on safe mode would that still make it the backlight/inverter?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

it does however have a clear picture before the windows welcome page and on safe mode would that still make it the backlight/inverter?

While it is still possible it is not cut and dry now we know you get a clear picture before the windows welcome page and on safe mode.
Possibly back to insufficient Ram Im afraid, the display uses the system Ram when it is required and dependent on how much you have there may not be enough, in safe mode can you restore the default settings or last known configuration. I will try and find more info on the amount of Ram for your computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry I cannot find any other information regarding how much memory your comp may have other than this below;
http://www.satech.co...52l-memory.html

EDIT: In case you need drivers http://esupport.sony...pl?mdl=pcg-252l

Edited by phillpower2, 13 October 2010 - 05:32 AM.

Firemunkee

Firemunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
is there a maximum amount of ram this computer can handle or can i only have 2GB??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Yes the maximum amount of memory the computers motherboard can hold is 2GB which is 2 X 1GB sticks.
If you can get the screen to stay on download and run SIW from the attached link it will tell you
information about the computer including how much Ram there is already fitted http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html