Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mini-ITX newbie build

• Please log in to reply

lenny12mne

lenny12mne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all, new to forum, and to computer building for that matter. Just need some help (opinions/feedback) on my mini-itx computer build.
Reason for build: need a 'portable computer' and want something other than a laptop (have one already).

Main use: various windows applications, photo video editing (possibly on dual screens), rare gaming, watching movies on another TV (via HMDI).

I know price of the system will be 'expensive' compared to a standard tower build, but portability is a must due to travel to remote work locations. Considering i was willing to drop $1600 on a new notebook, i am willing to spend that on this system.

I have minimal experience in computer building, never built one from scratch, but have removed/replaced parts in desktops before. I have a techie buddy on backup, if need be.

I put this system together on newegg, and just looking for feedback, and if all the parts will even 'work' well together:
-Shuttle SH55-J2, barebones system, with Intel H55 (LGA1156); other option Silverstone 05/06, with better motherboard? ($240)
-core i5-650 3.2GHZ LGA 1156 73W Dual Core ($188)
-Corsair (or kingston?) 4GB DDR3 1600 ram, possible go up to 6GB? ($105)
-Plextor 24x DVDRW ($30)
-optional video card; Gigabyte GeForce GTS 450, or maybe GeForce 240 (not sure if mini HDMI on GTS 450 can be used to feed out direct to TV??)
(will on board graphics be enough, if minimal gaming is being done?, and will it work with this setup?) $135)
Operating system, probably Windows 7. ($150)

-missing anything??

That's around $900, leaving me $600 to pick up a nice monitor (or 2).

Maybe this is too much 'power' for what i will use it for, but for me, nothing is more frustrating than a slow computer.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I haven't actually had any experience with Mini-ITX yet, I've been wanting to for ages but haven't the budget myself and no orders through work... ;)

But I have had a good look, and attached what looks like would work pretty good. Let me know what you think. The only issue is if the graphics card will fit, I'm pretty sure it will because you can remove the VGA connector and have single-width low profile card.

Looks awesome! :D

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: I'm pretty sure total was about $860, not including any shipping charges. Click on pic below to see full size "wish list".

[attachment=45281:Capture.JPG]