Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell integrated webcam problem

• Please log in to reply

savethebird

savethebird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few weeks ago I was trying to use Skype after I had installed a Windows update (I'm using Windows 7). My webcam would not come up, so I closed Skype and opened the Dell Webcam Central program to see if it would work there. The light next to my camera began to flash as Web Cam Central booted, but I got an error message saying, "Please Plug in a Supported Device". I tried uninstalling the device, then reinstalling the drivers and that did not work. I finally got Dell tech support to work with it and ultimately they wanted me to reset to factory settings after everything they tried failed. Instead I restored my laptop to my earliest restore point. That didn't work, so I undid the restore, uninstalled the most recent Windows update and ran sfc/scannow. After the sfc scan the problem was fixed.

However, I received and downloaded another Windows update last night and the problem reappeared. This time I tried restoring the computer and running sfc/scannow, but neither have repaired the issue. I also tried reinstalling the drivers again and that didn't work. I attempted a clean boot to isolate the problem, but the problem still occurred even with all non-Windows systems off.

Where do I go from here? Any ideas?

Advertisements