Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Problems

• Please log in to reply

ladybug28

ladybug28

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
I got a monitor off of a friend because my old one quit working. The monitor is called a (SuperCom) very old. lol but can't complain it was free.
And my tower is called an (Emachine).

Well I plugged the monitor into the computer and turned it on and it looked as though it was gonna work until it gets to the desktop. Well it started to go crazy. There were lines running so fast across the screen you could not see anything. It looked like when you have a vcr tape in your vcr and you have to fix the tracking.

So I shut it off and started it in safe mode. and i could see the screen except it was fuzzy.
so I checked my colors and it says I only have 16 colors. but I know I have more because I just hooked up anouther monitor and it worked fine.

another thing I did was go in to Device manager and there is a question mark over other devices and PCI Communication Device. What does this mean?

What should I do To make this monitor work with my tower. And can you have different monitors and towers together or do they have to be the same?
Thanks for the help
Ladybug28

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It's the video drivers. Try reinstalling your video drivers to see if it gets any better.

For the screen problem, you might also want to change the refresh rates. I think that may be causing the problems here. Go into Safe Mode and go into the video properties to change the refresh rate. Play around with it a little to see which setting/range is the best and use that.

For those question marks in Device Manager, it means that you need to install the drivers for the device. In this case, it's pointing to a PCI device. Did you install any new PCI devices lately?

No, it shouldn't be a problem at all. All monitors should be compatible with the towers.

ladybug28

ladybug28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
were do i go for the video driver? And how do I reinstall it. Do I need a disk?

and for the PCI the only thing I added was the monitor and I also added a DWL-G510 Airplus G wireless G PCI Adapter. Which I don't know if I done that correct or not. But I was able to get online so I think I may have.

Thanks for replying

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I'm not sure about this one. Do you have the drivers for the video card? I haven't heard of installing video drivers for the monitor, but if you can, tell me the exact brand and model number for that monitor. Do you know what video card you have? We can try installing the drivers for that first.

Is that wireless adapter showing up in the Device Manager? If not, it must be one of the devices not recognized. You need to install/reinstall the drivers for that adapter. Do you have any other PCI devices installed in the computer but are not showing up in the Device Manager? If you do, then that device must be the problem and not the wireless adapter.

ladybug28

ladybug28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm not sure what you mean about the drivers for the video card. Is this found in the system or do you need a disk for this?
were do I go to find out what video card I have?

The brand for the Monitor is called a SUPERCOM and the monitor number is CK-14.

I forgot to tell you The computer I am working with is running windows 98 if that makes a difference.

The wireless adapter is showing in the device manager. So I am not sure what could be causeing the question mark in there unless it would be the monitor because I don't have anything connected to the tower except the monitor, keyboard,mouse, and speakers

pcimaging

pcimaging

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This sounds to me like the problem is your monitor is only a vga and you are using a SVGA card. It may be you will have to run the monitor at 640 X 480 and keep the colors at 256. SVGA video does not work on a VGA monitor.

ladybug28

ladybug28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How would I run it in 256 colors if I only have 16 colors.
Thanks

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, we'll need to try reinstalling the video drivers. Right click on My Computer->Properties->Device Manager. Look for the video display adapters and expand it. What video adapter does it say there?

ladybug28

ladybug28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i found a display adaptor is this what I am to look for?

If it is it says this:
Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x (English)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, go to this site and click on the Download this file link. This is the username and password:

driver1
all

Saves you registration time :tazz:

Now try installing the drivers and restart. See if it's fixed now.

ladybug28

ladybug28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
can I download this file on my windows xp system and make a copy to a disk to put in my windows 98. and if so will it let me do it in safe mode? because I don't what to mess my new computer up.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
What are you trying to do here? In the end you will end up installing that driver on the 98 machine anyway. Use the 98 machine to download it if you can. If not, then yes use XP and get it on a disk. Then copy it over to the 98 machine. You might have to burn it on a cd since I think it's 10MB in size.

Do what in Safe Mode? Download? Download in normal mode and install the drivers on the 98 machine in normal mode also, unless it's giving you problems - then do it in safe mode.