Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop performance issue

• Please log in to reply

daveseid52

daveseid52

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought this Toshiba Laptop in july of this year. Its a decent laptop, and has pretty solid specifications, yet it doesnt seem to run many games without lagging, Ie, GTA4, Battlefield 2, pretty much anything made this year.
Games from a couple years back run good, i usually have to set it to a lower resolution, because 1600x900 doesnt run on any games.
I know how to up keep my computer pretty well, with disk defrags and registry clean ups and so on. Had formatted the laptop about a month ago and installed brand new drivers for everything.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds about right for a computer with my kind of specifications or if theres something that needs to be looked at?

Thanks!

Laptop Specs:

Platform Technology AMD VISION
StorageHard Drive 320 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
VideoGraphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 4200 HyperMemory
TelecomMax Transfer Rate 53 Kbps

Widescreen Display Yes
Max Resolution 1600 x 900
Display Type 17.3" TFT

RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 800 MHz
Cache Memory Installed Size - 1 MB
Type - L2 cache

Advertisements

CountryWizard

CountryWizard

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
How much ram do you have? Is enough dedicated to video memory? There are a lot of reasons you may be experiencing trouble. Are you sure you have the latest driver updates for your video card?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Try THIS . It has to be saved to your desktop in order to use it.
Hope this is what your looking for.
1.Download TFC to your desktop, or other location.

2.Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.

3.Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.

4.If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It shouldn't take longer take a couple of minutes, and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot

NEXT:
Try THIS

Game Booster is an easy-to-use program that shuts down unnecessary system processes in order to improve the performance of resource-thirsty games. With an intuitive interface that makes it easy to switch between gaming mode and normal mode, Game Booster is a simple but powerful program.

Game Booster's interface is basic, with a list of 24 noncritical processes that can be shut down during gaming. Check boxes allow users to select specific processes. It is true that you have to take a leap of faith with some of these; if you're not extremely computer savvy, you may have no idea what it is that you're shutting down. We can say that our system suffered no ill effects from temporarily disabling all of the listed processes, and the program quickly started them again when we switched back to normal mode. We do wish that the program came with a Help file that went into detail about this issue, though. In addition to disabling unnecessary system processes, Game Booster offers a game defragmenter that specifically defragments the game directories, allowing a given game to start and run more quickly. Overall, we found Game Booster to be both easy to use and effective. We noticed a significant difference in game performance when using gaming mode, and we think this is a great choice for users who need to optimize their systems for gameplay.

daveseid52

daveseid52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Rockmilk, thanks alot im in the process of trying your method altho i have tried a game optimizer before, ill give this new one a go and see.

Countrywizard - i have 3838 MB for paging, im wondering if paging on my primary drive may cause a little bit of slower performance. I have 4 GB of memory on the laptop tho, i have no viruses or any other kind of programs running in the background either, i can be sure of that, and i know that all my drivers are updated.

Another thing is when i go to a website called www.systemrequirementslab.com(its a site to tell you how well a game will run on your computer before playing it) it tells me that my 2.3 GHZ cpu is rated at 3.893 GHz, which is totally confusing for me, maybe you guys have a clue of what that is?