Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

indierockandroll

indierockandroll

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there

I'm having a massive problem installing windows XP on two machines. They have identical hardware except one has two hard drives that are RAID1 (mirrored) and the other one has a single sata hdd. Both go through the install, I load the SATA drivers that came with the motherboard (using the make disk feature from another computer)and it sees the hard drives fine. It then also proceeds to format the drive correctly however it gets stuck copying the first few files over which are the SATA drivers. "Setup cannot copy the file nvrd32.sys (Enter-retry, esc-Skip, F3-quit) I can skip this step but it brings me the same error for nvraidco.sys etc.

I have tried downloading the drivers from the motherboards website (ASUS M4N68T-M) and from nvidia's website only to experience the same issue copying the sata drivers over.

As i have tried it on two machines leading me to think it is not a hardware issue and I have tried multiple copies of XP (SP2 & SP3) and I've tried slipstreaming the drivers into the XP disk using nlite and am at a complete loose end!

Please can someone help me!

Thanks
Sam

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When you see the message Setup cannot copy the file xxxxxxx during the copying setup files right after you have formatted your HD it is due to the fact that those files are copied to your RAM and one of (if more than one) is defective.

Download MEMTEST86 ISO image the bootable version and burn it to a cd and test your ram (only one stick at a time)

This is where you problem should lie.

Edited by Alzeimer, 12 October 2010 - 05:59 AM.

indierockandroll

indierockandroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your suggestion Alzeimer.. I have ran memtest and it has passed multiple times without issue and I have tried a different module..

Do you have any other suggestions that might help?

Cheers
Sam

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If the files cannot be copied to the ram and you have tested the ram then it is either your cd of widows that is dirty or damage or it might be your dvd/cd-rom that is defective.

indierockandroll

indierockandroll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried re-burning the image i have onto a brand new disks and gone to a shop and bought a new xp disk and tried 2 different cd-drives. It's got me completley stumped :@

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am stumped too, every time i have seen this problem it was 90% of the time the ram and the other 10% the cd or cd-rom the problem.

Sorry i cannot help more, hopefully somebody else here will be able to help you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions