Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install windows XP Pro


  • Please log in to reply

#1
indierockandroll

indierockandroll

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there

I'm having a massive problem installing windows XP on two machines. They have identical hardware except one has two hard drives that are RAID1 (mirrored) and the other one has a single sata hdd. Both go through the install, I load the SATA drivers that came with the motherboard (using the make disk feature from another computer)and it sees the hard drives fine. It then also proceeds to format the drive correctly however it gets stuck copying the first few files over which are the SATA drivers. "Setup cannot copy the file nvrd32.sys (Enter-retry, esc-Skip, F3-quit) I can skip this step but it brings me the same error for nvraidco.sys etc.

I have tried downloading the drivers from the motherboards website (ASUS M4N68T-M) and from nvidia's website only to experience the same issue copying the sata drivers over.

As i have tried it on two machines leading me to think it is not a hardware issue and I have tried multiple copies of XP (SP2 & SP3) and I've tried slipstreaming the drivers into the XP disk using nlite and am at a complete loose end!

Please can someone help me!

Thanks
Sam
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Alzeimer

Alzeimer

    Member 1K

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
When you see the message Setup cannot copy the file xxxxxxx during the copying setup files right after you have formatted your HD it is due to the fact that those files are copied to your RAM and one of (if more than one) is defective.

Download MEMTEST86 ISO image the bootable version and burn it to a cd and test your ram (only one stick at a time)

This is where you problem should lie.

Edited by Alzeimer, 12 October 2010 - 05:59 AM.

  • 0

#3
indierockandroll

indierockandroll

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your suggestion Alzeimer.. I have ran memtest and it has passed multiple times without issue and I have tried a different module..

Do you have any other suggestions that might help?

Cheers
Sam
  • 0

#4
Alzeimer

Alzeimer

    Member 1K

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If the files cannot be copied to the ram and you have tested the ram then it is either your cd of widows that is dirty or damage or it might be your dvd/cd-rom that is defective.
  • 0

#5
indierockandroll

indierockandroll

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried re-burning the image i have onto a brand new disks and gone to a shop and bought a new xp disk and tried 2 different cd-drives. It's got me completley stumped :@
  • 0

#6
Alzeimer

Alzeimer

    Member 1K

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
I am stumped too, every time i have seen this problem it was 90% of the time the ram and the other 10% the cd or cd-rom the problem.

Sorry i cannot help more, hopefully somebody else here will be able to help you.
  • 0

#7
rshaffer61

rshaffer61

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP