Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install new programs.

• Please log in to reply

User14

User14

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having issues installing anything new on my computer, such as iTunes, Google Chrome, etc. And for some reason I also can't get on to Facebook through any of my browsers. I'm using Firefox right now, but it wouldn't work on Explorer either. And every time I start up firefox I get this error messege:

"Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features."

But, I press 'ok' and I can still use the browser. Now I'm guessing all these things have something to do with each other, but I don't know what. The most recent issues I've had with my PC is space on the HD, so I've had to delete a lot of things to make room, and I also had to reboot my PC in safe mode to regain access to it, because the PW screen randomly popped up one day after me having not used it in years. I believe I am an admin on my computer, but I have had issues doing things because a program will say I'm not an admin even though I've checked it about 20 times now to make sure I am.

I don't know what the issue is, can anybody help?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pls post some details of the computer.
1. Make and model number if branded.
2. Size and free space on HDD. Hold mouse over drive on My Computer it will tell you.
3. Processor speed and ram - right click My Computer on the start menu and click properties. It is on the General tab.
4. Which XP pls and what SP that will also be on the last screen at 3.
5. Go Control Panel - User Accounts, open it and check that YOU are shown as an administrator account.

Having done that and posted the results while you wait for a reply, start in Safe Mode that is Safe Mode ONLY not with networking and work your way through the advice on this link.
http://www.microsoft...mproveperf.mspx
IGNORE for the time being anything that requires a network connection - to install.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 October 2010 - 11:26 AM.