Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet(strange IP assignment?)

• Please log in to reply

Atma

Atma

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, so suddenly I could not connect to the internet. I have windows 7 and I went into the Network Center and tried to get it to fix the problem automatically. It gave me the rigmarole about resetting the modem. So I did, I unplugged it, waited, plugged back in and checked to see if it worked. It did not. I shut down the computer entirely and attempt a reset. No dice.

I tried to ipconfig/release and /renew - no dice. In the ipconfig I noticed that it assigned me a peculiar IP address that was 169.xx.xxx.xx - now... it assigns me that even if I connect directly to that computer without a router. It gives that for me if I do have the router set up. It gives me that address no matter what. The lights on my modem indicate I have internet, and this is proven by the fact that the computer I'm typing this topic on currently is online with the network. This computer also comes online directly from the modem without the router. It's just the one computer I can't get going, unfortunately that computer is the one I need desperately as its the one with all my work on it.

I have had this problem SEVERAL TIMES over the years. In almost all cases, I'd say 7 out of the 8 times, it fixed itself within a day for no reason - nice, but it never helped me learn anything about the whys and hows of this problem.

On ONE occasion, it was because the modem was out of date, that was less than a year ago - I contact my cable company and I got an updated modem directly from them to solve this issue, and it was solved for nearly a year, until now - I am very confident this is not a modem issue since it works fine on this other computer I have here. I am very confident that despite the fact my router might suck a little(linksys) - it is not causing this problem.

All the components are wired so it's not a weird wireless issue.

I cannot reset the modem and have it reassign the correct IP for me. It REFUSES to do it, it gives me the same 169. one every single time.

It suggested a system restore. I did it, it didn't work. People have suggested releasing and renewing, it didn't work. Resetting the modem didn't work. Nothing works. Prove you guys know about computers and explain what this issue is and how to fix it.

Thanks.

Edited by Atma, 12 October 2010 - 02:41 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
What operating sytem is the computer that is working running?

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
XP. Although I will note that while the computer running XP is working currently, the computer with XP in the past has had this same exact issue, just not this time.

Just some additional information in case it comes up - I didn't update any drivers or do anything particularly suspicious at all. I was talking on an instant messenger with no browser open when it shut off and nothing else. The only thing even remotely out of the ordinary was that I had updated Microsoft Security Essentials like 20 minutes prior, but after it was installed it seemed fine, it didn't instantly come offline.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the XP machine press start, then run, then type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press enter. in the command prompt that opens type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes, also note the space between the g and /)

post what comes up

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lv.cox.net
Description.............NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address..........:00-50-8D=E9-8B-C3
Dhcp Enabled..........:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled.......:Yes
IP Address..........192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask........255.255.255.0
Default Gateway......192.168.1.1
DHCP Server..........192.168.1.1
DNS Servers.......: 68.105.28.12

Then some crap about lease expiration.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok, on the windows 7 machine follow the steps here to set a static IP address

for the IP address use 192.168.1.10
then for the rest of the fields use the same info as the XP machine

Subnet Mask........255.255.255.0
Default Gateway......192.168.1.1

DNS Servers.......: 68.105.28.12

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, while I get to work on that - do you have any idea what causes this?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not yet. just seeing if using a static ip will let you connect to the internet at the moment

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, that did not work - however, I did go to cmd and ipconfig on the W7 machine and the ip address is now a 192.xx.xxx.xx number so at least that has changed, no access to webz yet though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well then there's another issue all together...go ahead and undo what you just did since it didn't work.

you said you updated windows security essentials and it continued working after that....was there a reboot in between when it was working and when it wasn't?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm actually going to be leaving the office in a minute...

if you haven't rebooted the computer since all this started, do so (heck do it anyway, sometimes it's magic)

also, try uninstalling the MSSE (security essentials), reboot, and see what happens

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nah there wasn't, I had pretty much just woke up. I could hear a wire hitting one of my fans so I opened my case and tied it off to the side. Closed up the case as windows was loading. Noticed the MSE update prompt. Had it go ahead and update. Checked my fantasy football final scores. Closed browser, talked to couple friends on gtalk, got up to make myself some pop tarts, returned to the computer to respond to IMs and it suddenly was off mid-type. Then I did resets galore after that.

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just wanna note that I'm pretty epic(and somewhat unlucky) in that I can stump the almighty Microsoft MVP with unfixable problems.

EDIT: FIX THIS PLEASE!

Edited by Atma, 12 October 2010 - 04:36 PM.

Atma

Atma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good god someone please help, I've tried just everything short of formatting.

EDIT: I formatted, still didn't work - didn't think it would. I don't get it. That's like 14 hours of failure...sad.

Edited by Atma, 13 October 2010 - 01:07 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first, i probably should have been more clear as to what "i'm leaving" meant. i don't post during the evenings (says it in my signature)

second, what method did you use to format? have you reinstalled the drivers and everything?