Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant connect to the network, others can

• Please log in to reply

BeckyH

BeckyH

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I am having trouble reconnecting a laptop to existing network. It was connected at one time, worked just fine then friend took laptop home from work and after bringing it back to business it won't reconnect. It tells me that it is not connected where it shows the signal strngth and directy below security enabled wireless network it says "you are currently connected to the network. To disconnect from this network click disconnect". Which I do then I try to manually connect it says it may need additional information which it doesn't give me the option to put in before it goes back to the above message.

On the network connections screen it shows wireless network not connected, firewalled but I had previously turned off both firewalls just in case...

I did an ip config from the cmd window and it shows the following
ethernet adapter wireless netowkr connection:
Connection specific DNS suffix: BLANK
Autoconfiguration IP address :XXX.XXX.252.196 (which is NOT what the stationary ID was when I first set up the network)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 (also does not match)
Default Gateway: BLANK

Based on what I have been able to determine, it appears the computer isn't communicating with the router to get an ip assigned and after a few minutes is self assigning one to the computer (my guess only) because once I got it to tell me it was an invalid IP and then after a few min in that window an ip popped up.

It isn't giving me the window to even put the security key in to connect to the network. It just takes me back to the screen that I explained at the beginning.

I'm stumped as to how to get that computer back onto the network so any help appreciated.
Becky

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you have any saved wireless profiles? was the work profile one that was saved? go into the utility you use to connect to wireless networks and delete all the stored profiles that are there, then try again

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
saved profiles? sorry have no idea what you are referring to...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what program do you use to connect to wireless networks? the one built into windows? or something different?

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
yes the one built into windows I assume. I don't do a lot of this, I set it up for her prob 6-8 months ago and like to have never got it set up but finally did ...that computer did just fine till she took it home with her (it was only one on the network at the time but others would bring in their computers to hook to it periodically which is why wireless was needed there) and when she brought it back it wouldn't connect back to the wireless network even though everyone else's laptops etc will still connect to the network just fine...its just that one that won't...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
give This a read to get you to the right location. instead of moving or changing the networks i actually do want you to choose to remove all of them for this test. you'll have to reconfigure the connection for work and make sure to name the profile "Work" or something to that effect

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
this is a xp operating system not vista i am dealing with here (my home computers are vista)

I have already tried changing the network "work" to manual connection. Which doesn't help. If I try to connect automatically it still gives me the same message that says "you are currently connected to the network. To disconnect from this network click disconnect". but immediately underneath it, it says I am NOT connected... So if I disconnect and then I try to manually connect it says it may need additional information which it doesn't give me the option to put in before it goes back to the above message.

so you want me to remove all the networks that show up on the list?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

so you want me to remove all the networks that show up on the list?

yes

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
ok I have removed all networks that showed up (just like I had already tried) and so then when I asked it to search for networks in range it brings up the work network (I am here now working on it again) and shows me as connected where it says automatic or manual BUT directly beneath that it says "you are not connected to the network" but at the bottom of the screen it gives me the option to disconnect, It brings up the box saying windows will not automatically connect if I do this so I select yes....

then after disconnecting, I try to reconnect manually and it goes through its little thing of waiting on network to respond then it brings back up the window that says choose a wireless network and work is at the top of the list (where I just tried to connect) and it says (beside the little star) NOT CONNECTED but down below where it says security enabled wireless network it says You are currently connected to the network. To disconnect from this network click disconnect.

so I am exactly where I was when I started this :-) (except I am missing a few more hairs and gotten a few more gray ones in the ones that are left)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
when i does "reconnect" to the network, is it asking you for the security information? like the wep key or a passphrase?

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
no it doesn't ask me for that...I wish it would then it would be simple enough LOL

even when I chose repair connection it says it cannot finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed Connecting to the wireless network, contact the person who manages your network (which is me although I have no idea why at this moment)

Edited by BeckyH, 22 October 2010 - 11:02 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right, well that's the primary problem...it can't get an IP address until you authenticate to the wireless connection

if you right click on the network profile that it just made for the work network and choose properties, do you see a section for the security information?

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
thank you for your patience...I don't know what the heck I did...but its working...I got that blasted @#%^$ laptop back on wireless and threatened her NOT to take it home again LOL (only took me two weeks of messing around with various stuff)

Time to go make my hair all brunette again and cover up this gray this thing brought on...

thanks again for your patience....
Becky

PS that was before I saw your reply...

Edited by BeckyH, 22 October 2010 - 11:27 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
glad you got it working....if it stops working again or if you need any other help just come back and ask. we're not going anywhere anytime soon

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
always do :D its just usually in malware removal dept you find me asking questions
thanks so much