Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2008 vs 2007

• Please log in to reply

jeffball610

jeffball610

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I teach a computer based projects class at a high school, and we are fortunate enough to have all Macs at the school. However, since Microsoft has such a stronghold on the office market, we run dual boot machines with Windows XP. Currently we are working on some Microsoft Word projects and there is a huge difference between Word 2008 and Word 2007. I don't just mean the obvious look of the program, but the way the files look. Why is it that they don't look the same? Many of the styles and formats are completely different. I try to teach that these systems are much more compatible (despite Windows sucking) but with issues like this, why would anyone want to deal with cross-compatibility issues? It would be one thing to just turn them into PDF files, but we need to work on both systems. Are there any ways to minimize the issues that come up? Am I just dreaming all of this up and there is something going on with our settings? I've never dealt directly with the cross use of these platforms and would like to make this as sooth as possible.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Personally, I would dump both versions and use OpenOffice which will work with Word documents and has all the programs that M$ Office Suite has. It comes in different languages and is available for many different platforms:

OpenOffice

Oh, did I mention it is FREE? This should solve a lot of your headaches by using the Mac version. OO has its own native file extension, but will open and save all Micro$oft documents. Has a PowerPoint and all M$ templates will work with PP and Word.

Extensions, too!

Edited by AstraNut, 13 October 2010 - 01:31 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well, first, there's no word 2008. they went from office 2007 to office 2010

second, office 2010 and office 2007 save their files in the same format and have no cross format issues with normal files. there ARE some issues with trying to open office 2010 files with macros and other special features of 2010 in office 2007, but those shouldn't have anything to do with word. mostly just excel
Edit: learn something new every day, i was unaware that the office for Mac version stream was different (not sure why it would be)....apparently there is an office 2008 for Mac. disregard everything i've said

jeffball610

jeffball610

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Check the settings in the programs

What settings would I be looking for? I would assume that the styles and other settings would be the same from program to program. But then again, one would think Windows would at least look the same since it's made by Microsoft. I think this is just stupid.