Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Folder on Second Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

dstone10

dstone10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My wife has two hard drives on her computer, in the device manager they are identical (model number wise). On her second hard drive there is a very large windows folder taking up a ton of space we are trying to remove this folder without having to format the drive because we have a lot of baby pictures and videos stored on this drive as well.

I searched the forums for a similar situation and I did find :

http://www.geekstogo...ond-hard-drive/

So just out of curiosity we went and looked at her boot.ini file to find that it looked normal. There was no second line showing another OS in the file. So the solution for that user will not work for us I am afraid.

When trying to do the old fashioned right click delete we run into errors saying files on that drive are in use or are write protected. Her computer boots from the C drive and the drive causing the problem is the E drive. We just need it for extra space, not to store important system information on. I'm not sure if there is any easy way to fix this or not but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Important Info : Computer would boot fine and run fine before the second hard drive was installed so I would assume those files that are being "used" or are write protected are not necessary for the computer to function properly.

Thanks again for your help and I will provide as much information as possible.

Daniel

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You say you have files (baby pictures and videos) on the E: drive you wanna keep, why don't you copy the files you want to keep on your C: drive (assuming you have enough empty space) once all your important files are copied just format your E: drive. through windows Computer Management or you can use a third party program ex: DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to erase all data on it.

Once formatted you can put your Baby pictures and videos back on the drive E: emptying your drive C:

Edited by Alzeimer, 12 October 2010 - 10:36 PM.

dstone10

dstone10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice, if we can find a way to store the files elsewhere we will give those programs a shot. If we are not able to do that without buying another hard drive or other removable storage does anyone else have an idea on how to remove this extra Windows folder?