Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logical drive disappeared

• Please log in to reply

Georgxx

Georgxx

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a curious problem. I have T30 running XP service pack 2. My D: drive is a logical drive, i.e., a partition on the hard disk.

I was scanning a multi-page document via Acrobat, using a WIA-HP ScanJet 5300C, USB scanner, when I was distracted and left the scanning half way through for some time. When I returned, the scanning dialogue had disappeared, with the pages already scanned showing in the Acrobat window. There was some message (presumably an error) showing on the screen, but I accidentally clicked off on it, before I read it. Anyway, I picked up with the scanning where I had left off, and the whole scan completed successfully.

However, when I went to save the file, which had been created, to the D: drive, there was no D: drive listed in the 'save' dialogue. I then tried to open a different file, but again, there was no D: drive in the 'open' dialogue.

I subsequently went to My Computer, and there, where the D: drive should have been in the window, was the scanner, and indeed, clicking on it, took me to the scanner interface. There was also an E: drive missing, which had always previously shown, but that drive is for another OS on the dual boot system.

Both D: and E: drives show up as healthy under Computer Management. From a command prompt, I can get up a DIR of D: and all sub-directories. D: is basically data, but also some programs. I can execute a program on D: from the command line, and I can load and save documents by entering the full path in the appropriate dialogue. I can't search from the graphical interface, because it does not show D:

Using RegEdit, I have restored the registry values to a point just before this happened, but to no avail.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this.

Thanks in advance-

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try this:

Unplug your scanner and then go to Computer Management and change the drive letter of your HD to any letter, then reboot and go see in My computer to see if your HD is there under its new drive letter, if yes then go back to Computer Management and change the drive letter back to D: then reboot. If you can use your hard drive without any problems then replug your scanner and see if everything is back to normal.

Georgxx

Georgxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that, but unfortunately I couldn't change the drive letter. I tried to change it to V:, clicked yes I acknowledge some programs may not run if I change drive letter, but then I gott a message saying "this volume contains a pagefile". When I clicked OK, it took me back out of the dialogue, and wouldn't change the drive letter.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I notice you are still using XP SP2 try updating to SP3, two reasons Microsoft stopped releasing security updates, hotfixes and other updates for Windows XP SP2 on July 13th 2010 and SP3 apparently fixes a lot of bugs.
If SP3 doesn`t fix it try this http://support.micro..._drive_problems

Georgxx

Georgxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had SP3. I caused untold problems and misery, to the point where the machine wouldn't boot properly, and it took literally days to get it fixed. At that point I swore I would never again install anything that Microsoft just pushed out as being good for you. Frankly, when there was a choice, in those days back in the mists of time, I used O/S2 until IBM stopped supporting it. What a great program! And even in all the years since then, in many ways Windows has had nothing good enough to match it. For IBM to have given up on continuing O/S2, and leave the field open to this far inferior Windows system, was the worst decision ever made in the history of computing. Just my two cents worth, but remember, I worked with both for years, and so I think I can speak.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries, at the end of the day it is your decision, try the other option at the link then and hopefully it will resolve the issue for you.

Georgxx

Georgxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
that doesn't do it. Anyway it seems that is for locating CD and DVDs. This drive is a partition on a hard drive.I have a feeling that Alzeimer may be on to something, if only I knew why it wouldn't let me change the drive letter. And the other question is why does it keep showing the scanner, with a link to he scanner, in the My Computer window?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My apologies I need to get my eyes tested :D I thought I had read optical drive.
Have a look at this link and see if there is anything that can possibly help http://hddguru.com/

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I couldn't change the drive letter. I tried to change it to V:, clicked yes I acknowledge some programs may not run if I change drive letter, but then I gott a message saying "this volume contains a pagefile". When I clicked OK, it took me back out of the dialogue, and wouldn't change the drive letter.

Log on to the computer as Administrator.

1- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2- Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

3- Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance, click Settings.

4- Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory, click Change.

5- Verify if you have a pagefile on your drive C: and on your drive D:

6- If you have one on drive C: you can delete the one on drive D:, if you have none on drive C: create one then after you can delete the one on drive D:

7- If it says you have no pagefile on drive D: then I do not understand why you got the mnessage "this volume contains a pagefile" unless it says this because it is on the same hard disk just a different partition.

8- Once the page file on drive D: is removed you can try to change the drive letter if you still have the same issues with your drive.

9- Do not worry about "some programs may not run if you change drive letter" since you will put it back after to the original drive letter D:

Georgxx

Georgxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
To Alzeimer:

You were correct. Pagefile.sys was on d: I changed it back to c: and followed the rest of your instructions, but unfortunately, that didn't help at all.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Were you able to allocate any drive letter to it?

did you uninstall your scanner before trying to change the drive letter.

Usually I would suggest to uninstall your HD in device manager and reboot but since this is a partition on a HD that also includes you C: drive (windows) so you cannot uninstall it.

In Disk management when you right click on your partition and choose Properties can you use the Tools/error checking option.

Since your scanner seems to be related to the problem that is why i suggest you uninstall it completely until you have solved the problem with your partition.

When you right click on the partition what are your options.
Those are my options (open, explore, change drive letter, format, delete logical drive, properties, help)

A print screen of your disk management would be useful (I am a visual person)

Georgxx

Georgxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Were you able to allocate any drive letter to it?

Yes, in Computer Management, I changed it to drive V. After rebooting, neither V: drive nor D: drive was visible in the My Computer window, but it had obviously taken on the letter V, because icons, etc. were screwed up, which, as soon as I changed it back again to D: came OK again

did you uninstall your scanner before trying to change the drive letter.

I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood you. I disconnected, not uninstalled, the scanner. Apart from that, it is a very old scanner, and I do not have the software for it anymore. However, the icon for, and name of, the scanner have now somehow disappeared from the My Computer window.

Usually I would suggest to uninstall your HD in device manager and reboot but since this is a partition on a HD that also includes you C: drive (windows) so you cannot uninstall it.

In Disk management when you right click on your partition and choose Properties can you use the Tools/error checking option.

Yes

Since your scanner seems to be related to the problem that is why i suggest you uninstall it completely until you have solved the problem with your partition.

When you right click on the partition what are your options.
Those are my options (open, explore, change drive letter, format, delete logical drive, properties, help)

Mine are exactly the same - except that format and delete logical drive are greyed out

A print screen of your disk management would be useful (I am a visual person)

Is attached as pdf. Note that this file was saved to, and attached from d:, but in both cases I had to enter manually the full path t the file.

Thanks in advance

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If I may chip in, as Alzeimer suggested it may be wise to completely disconnect/remove all evidence of the scanner
until the issue is resolved, because this way at least if the problem goes away you know that the scanner is involved in some way,
with this in mind below is a link to your scanners drivers, if you can burn them to disk for any future possible use and make sure
you have them before un-installing the originals.
http://h20000.www2.h...135&prod=WIA-HP ScanJet 5300C
Did you have a look at this as suggested http://hddguru.com/s...Find-and-Mount/

EDIT: If you have no luck with partition find-and-mount try Easeus from here
http://www.partition...om/download.htm

Edited by phillpower2, 16 October 2010 - 02:31 AM.