Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD won't read media

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900
AMD Athlon 64x2 dua3GB
32-bit
Windows Vista-Home Premium
SP2

OK! My cd/dvd rom was working fine about 1-2 months ago and now it won't read anything. It does its' initial start up sound and the motor runs like it's going to work but nothing. When I right click on the drive in my computer it will do a nano second flash of the window then nothing. It' so fast I don't even see the whole window. I've done the Mr Fixit and the first time it read the cd in the drive while running the fix. but when I finished and tried to run the same disc nothing happened. I ran the test again and all it did was send me to a Microsoft link that wanted $$ to talk to me.NOT! I also read some post here and there was one that suggested a fix but further reading showed it was for an XP not a vista. I was going to try a the update from the devmngmnt but wanted to check in here first to see if there was anything else I could do.
Thanks in Advance.
Regards
BT

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Optical drives do not need a driver anymore since XP.
Since the drive is seen in My Computer it would indicate a failing drive. Before sayiong it is that please try this.
Go to Microsoft's site http://support.micro..._drive_problems and follow the steps