Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer unstable after reformat

• Please log in to reply

LaVillaStrangiato

LaVillaStrangiato

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So I've finally decided to reformat my computer since the first time that I bought it, back in 2007 from a friend.

The computer itself did not come with a driver disc or anything so I had to manually gather the drivers and install it after the fresh install Windows XP.

Everything seemed fine until after about a couple of days , the usb ports started acting up, turing on and off randomly, sometimes in 15-20 minute intervals and games taking much much longer than usual to startup ( like PES 2011 ) . I initially thought that it was maybe due to the graphics card driver being out of date but that was not the case as it was. Another problem that I found was that I couldn't click into the game controllers option in the control panel, it would open it up, freeze and give me a rundll error. I have no idea what is going on. The comptuer was fine before the reformat. Games ran very fast ( PES took about 1 sec to load up now it takes about 1 minute to finally get the game running into the main menu ). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

specs:
Dell Optiplex GX280
Intel Pen 4 2.8 ghz
2GB Ram
nVidia GeForce 8400gs

Edited by LaVillaStrangiato, 13 October 2010 - 05:46 PM.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, did you download the drivers from Dell site?. also they have a set sequence for installing the drivers & if not followed it can cause problems.

http://support.dell....s=gen&~lt=print

Edited by deggitt, 13 October 2010 - 06:00 PM.

LaVillaStrangiato

LaVillaStrangiato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had no idea that there was an order, could this really fix my problem? How do I have to reformat again and try again with that order in the link you provided me with? Or is there an alternative way? Thanks