Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard issue (what a doozy)

• Please log in to reply

SAP

SAP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
3 words... OH MY GOD!!!

Here's my problem. To start with, I am at work at the moment and do not have product names or specs. I bought a new Motherboard as well as DDR RAM for it, and bought a new 80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive. I attempted to install XP Pro and several files would not load. I tried this several times and on a couple of occasions it allowed these files to be loaded. However, during the installation, it stopped dead in its tracks and brought up a full blue screened error window stating something about Windows had to shut down due to some errors. If this is the first time I saw this message try restarting your PC... yada yada. Tried the restart and same thing. So I said screw it, I tried installing Windows 200 Pro. Same thing. Last try, Win 98 (1st edition, not the SE version). 98 loaded and worked fine. I attempted to upgrade to XP Pro, and got that same error screen again.

I am at my ropes end with this and am coming close to tossing it all out of the window. PLEASE can anyone help out? I heard that changing my battery on the Motherboard might help but that makes little sense to me since 98 loaded fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Just out of curiousity, whats the new motherboard? I know, your at work?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have a car...it won't start. When I try I get a little information on the dashboard lights, but I am not going to tell you what that message is. By the way, my car is blue.

Help me get it started!!!

----------------------------------

Understand? I'm not trying to rag on you, but the message is CRITICAL if you expect us to help you. More information means better help. My computer doesn't work....not much help there.

Messages, what's happening when it fails. What hardware you have....all critical

SAP

SAP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I am at home now...

The Motherboard is a MSI K7 Mainboard. VIA KT 400 chipset based, KT4V. The Processor is an AMD 2100+. The hard drive is an 80 GB Western digital. The error message is beyond long and has codes that I did not write down. I wish I had time right now to try and do it all over again to let you know what that message says. But I guess what I am hoping for is some advice on what would prevent a clean install on new hardware. It is my understanding that 2000 Pro and XP Pro do have issues with new hardware when the OS is already on the hard drive. But I have not heard of issues regarding hardware on a clean install. The thing that is boggling and should give you a good starting point is that Widows 98 installed without issues. This would imply to me that the RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor are all working fine. Can the battery be causing this issue?

Thanks

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Yes, A person would wonder why 98 installs and xp wont. If it was not such a relatively modern motherboard, id guess a compatability issue with the motherboard in some way. In the old days when you upgraded to xp from 9x, there was always the posibility of compatability issues. Some issues were taken care of by " flashing" the bios to upgrade it for xp. Dont do that at this point though.

Id say its probably best to take down all the info that the error message gives you, so you can go to the microsoft knowledge base and see if its listed, ok?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
unlikely....

And this is not exactly cutting edge hardware, so nothing screams problem

If it were me, I would remove everything but one stick of memory and the videocard, and install. At least then we can get an error. Remove or disable everything else. Also, if you have a usb mouse or keyboard, try a ps2 one.

Just the STOP: ????????????????????????? would be helpful.

Drakkor

Drakkor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ah...Microsoft.... There are some problems with 2000, but even more with XP. First, (Sometimes) in can be a compatability issue with your motherboard, I know, I have changed them and had good results. Once ran an Abit KD7A. With 98, Me, 2000 server = NO PROBLEMS. Load xp on the same system and nothing but unexplained events........reboots at random, errors, Internet Explorer errors galore!!!! No cut and dry answers all the time, no matter how much training or knowledge a person has! Now, as far as your install problems, here is something that may help. Try installing from a regular old cd-rom drive. Not ANY cd r, cd-rw, dvd-rw combo, etc...... Have seen this before. Could not install, Missing files, could not copy files, etc.... I even copied the I-386 dir and installed from hard drive result = SAME, missing files, cannot this and that !!!!. I was thinking W T F !!! Well I was using a cdr-rw drive, ( Believe me) I already tried changing all the drive settings in BIOS,etc.... NO LUCK. Finally, took an old cd rom drive, put in in and it freakin worked. Magic I guess. One more thing, I have seen this on several boxes and I keep a cd rom drive on hand just for this reason. Once XP is installed, you will get the same errors and troubles when trying to install ( Some) programs. Even as before, copying to hard drive and installing from there gives you errors! Pop in the good old cd rom drive and try again. Hope this helps someone out there, because this problem can drive you up a wall! And don't feel stupid, I'm an A+, Net+, MCP+I, and MCSE and these type of problems stump everyone, myself included. Take care. Drakkor