Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep losing internet connection

• Please log in to reply

lost and confused

lost and confused

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope you can help me with this.

I use a desktop PC, and have recently bought a TP-Link 54 Mbps Wireless G USB Adapter (model: TL-WN321G) to connect to a BT Home Hub, which 2 other laptops connect to successfully.

The set up seems to have worked and the connection is "excellent" according to my computer. When i switch the computer on, the link and connection to the internet are both fine, and work well, but only for the first few minutes. The connection then gets cut off, with the message in the bottom left of the screen reading "connecting to site..[some numbers - IP address?], but the messgae on the screen eventually says 'page cannot be displayed'.

Now, the connection is still showing as "excellent", but this is happeneing every time, and when I restart the computer, the internet works fine again for a few minutes, but then goes off again.

Do you know what the problem is? If so, will you tell me how to fix it?

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Here's a quick summary of how to get connected to BT Total Broadband using a BT Home Hub: Just in case there's something there you missed.
http://www.filesavea.../bthomehub.html

More:

Wireless drop-out / speed

See here http://www.filesavea...oting.html#wifi

Let us know if anything is helpful here it's a pretty good guide of checks & balances especially the link directly above.

zep516