Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing the disk drive

• Please log in to reply

Condor62

Condor62

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is my first upgrade, the existing drive is showing signs of failure so I am planning to install a new master, then at a later date make the old disk slave so I can transfer data before it fails. Will having the old XP on the slave interfere with the new drive ? Also I am planning to switch to linux mint should I put an empty partition on the new drive ready for linux?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Will having the old XP on the slave interfere with the new drive ?

shouldn't as long as your boot order is set to boot to the new drive and not the old one.
as a suggestion, to reduce confusion, i would make sure to have the old drive completely removed from the system when installing the OS on the new drive. that way you don't end up with a weird dual boot scenario on accident

Also I am planning to switch to linux mint should I put an empty partition on the new drive ready for linux?

yes you should. it's much easier to do during initial setup than after everything is in place. also, this way you'll be able to do a dual boot with windows and linux a lot easier

Condor62

Condor62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for clearing up queries

Condor 62