Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! Accidentally loaded recue Cd onto drive; cannot boot into wi

• Please log in to reply

Sharon R

Sharon R

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yesterday, I was trying to make a rescue CD for a friend and somehow the files got onto my computer. Now, when I try and boot up into windows XP. I get the rescue process taking over. I tried everything, booting pressing the f2, f8. and f10 and nothing. My though was to try and get into system restore and go back a day or two. I cannot do anything. I even tried my own rescue cds that came with the computer and they will not load. Nothing is working. This is the message that I am getting: "Bitdefender rescue cd based on Live cd". When it completes it process, it says to remove the cd and reboot. I cannot do that as there is no cd, so the files must be on my HD. I do not want to lost everything I have so can someone help me, please? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Also, it keeps mentioning Linux...

Edited by Sharon R, 14 October 2010 - 01:52 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The reason Linux is mentioned is that the Bit Defender rescue CD is based on the Linux platform.
Please explain a ittle more what rescue CD you were making - presumably it was Bit Defender, the prime purpose of these is to boot the system and scan for a virus.

Please also explain HOW the CD contents were ever installed on your hard drive, as a boot option.
I feel certain that the boot.ini file has been altered.
I ned to know exactly WHAT you did please.

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for helping. I was trying to make a Bitdefender rescue cd and I have no idea as to how the files got on my computer. I just went to boot up as normal this a.m. and it immediately went into the scanning. I have tried everything and I cannot get Windows to start. As I said earlier, once the scan is done, it says to reboot and remove the rescue cd and reboot into windows normally. However, there is no disc to remove. What now? Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have the XP CD or is this a branded computer with a recovery partition and no XP installation CD provided.
We need to get into recovery console/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, I believe I have an XP cd, but if I can, I would like to keep everything I have. Can you outline what I should do, please. I am at a neighbor's computer and will print and go home and try to do it.

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Also, if I do not have the cd and it has a recovery partition, what should I do in that case?

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I do have three recovery cd's and tried to use them. A prompt can on asking about the choices and then the rescue crap took over and I could not do anything with the three recovery cds. I forgot to mention that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Lets tackle one at a time please otherwise it will become unnecessarily complicated.
If you have the CD we are going to enter Recovery Console.
Have you got, at your neigbours house a blank CD write disc.
Do they have an ISO burning prog.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2010 - 02:58 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My post 8 was sent when ONLY your post 5 was there.
I want you to make a CD at your neighbours house can you do that.

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I think she has a disc that can be used, and can you recommend an easy iso writing program? I am waiting, so please tell me the next step or two.

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just downloaded and installed Imagburn. Now I am waiting for the next step.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I am waiting, so please tell me the next step or two.

Patience Sharon R - you only waited a few minutes for my first reply. I am only joking - well only half joking.
Please do not bombard me with posts.
It only serves to complicate the issue.

Make Linux Live Puppy Linux.
THIS WILL ENABLE YOU TO SAVE YOUR PERSONAL DATA.
We hope that later you will not lose it anyway, but nothing is guaranteed with this situation.

.Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
http://ftp.nluug.nl/...fulldrivers.iso
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files Burncdcc is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

When you have this and have ensured that ALL your data has been saved.
Please post back and we will then go to Recovery Console.
For that we need the XP CD that is the CD from which your system was installed OR the same. eg. XP Home to XP Home. Professional to Professional.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2010 - 03:35 PM.

Sharon R

Sharon R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I have burned the disc and will go and try everything. Thanks for helping me. I will not be on anymore tonight.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for letting me know.
That is really appreciated you would be amazed how many people, just disappear and leave you waiting for a reply.
I will post the instructions for recovery console.
If you do have the XP CD - then make the CD on the instructions below,
Take your time with these commands for recovery console they are quite complicated.
FIRST here is the link for the Recovery Console. This is an ISO image use the same procedure as you did for Linux to make it.
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Now here are the commands for the Recovery Console.

Note the space between cd and the rest of the command. Ditto for copy.

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

* Type cd \ and press "Enter".
* Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
* Type dir and press "Enter".

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list

* Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
* Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
* Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
* Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
* Type exit and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type cd \ and press "Enter".
* Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
* Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
* Type exit and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

CAUTION there are other recovery console commands that can be used if this does not work.
MY ADVICE do not use them except under advice. The Recovery Console is a powerful tool and the use of the wrong command could result in you NOT being able to do anything except reinstall.

With acknowledgement to Wannabe and others on this forum

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 October 2010 - 04:01 PM.