Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add Partial 2003 Outlook pst file to existing Outlook 2003 pst file

• Please log in to reply

silverose

silverose

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to figure out how to restore a small file (527 mb) of Outlook.pst email which is currently sitting on the desktop by itself, not currently part of the Outlook 2003 emails on the computer. The Inbox currently contains emails which are OK and already in the system have emails filed in subdirectories according to the persons. The standalone pst file on the desktop is what I want to integrate into Outlook, but I don't want to override or wipe out the existing emails and directories which are in there already. What is the proper procedure to do this? I don't know if I am supposed to import because the pst file is sitting on the desktop, or if I need to add data files or what. I have a feeling there is a simple trick, but I don't know what it is. I have tried making a new directory in Outlook and then attempted to copy and paste the pst file into it, but it doesn't seem to work. When I look at the new directory I created, it is empty.

I hope I have explained this correctly, and I would greatly appreciate assistance. Thank you.

Advertisements

v.of.t.us

v.of.t.us

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I don't know if this will answer your question. I am just another member here on G2G, but let me share my recent experience with you. At work we are on a network in a Citrix environment. I have all users set up with an outlook 07 account. All of the user files are in individual files on a shared drive, lets call it drive X. Some of the users prefer to use the local computer for executing programs such as outlook, therefore they have a pst file on their local hd ("C"). I had a user that had been using the network outlook but then decided to start using outlook 07 on their new local workstation. I set up their outlook on their new computer and they were receiving emails and humming along, now they wanted their emails from the network environment. So, their emails in drive X needed to be incorporated into their drive C emails. From the outlook they wanted the emails moved to, I selected File>Import the wizard opens with the first screen "choose an action to perform", I selected "import from another program or file", select next at the bottom of that box, the next screen "select file type to import from", I selected (scroll down) Personal File Folder (.pst), next screen "File to Import" select "browse" locate the file you want to import, in my case I had to locate the pst file in the drive X file, yours would be the file on the desktop, on that same screen, under options I selected "do not import duplicates" (our settings have mail remain on the mail server for 5days, I didn't want there to be an issue of duplicates), if you allow duplicates then you know you got everything, just delete the duplicates, select next at the bottom of that screen. I can't remember if it imports at that point, I think so, that should take care of it.

Something else you can do if you don't want to import. Move the pst on your desktop to the same folder where your current pst is located. First rename the file on your desktop, if it is outlook put a 2 on the end of outlook be sure to leave the .pst on the end of it. Copy and paste it into the current .pst file folder. In Outlook create another data file, don't make it the default. The next time you start outlook, on the left, in the navigation pane another set of folders (inbox, sent items, etc.) will be created. You should be able to view the emails.

I hope this helps.

silverose

silverose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. I will give this a try. It is my husband's laptop, so my access depends on his work schedule. I will let you know.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in outlook you can click on file, then data file managment, then add, then browse to the other PST and press ok. this will open the PST as another file within outlook. from there you can just drag the mail to where you want it within the current PST. when you're done go back to data file management and remove the other PST