Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Powers Off (During Gaming)

• Please log in to reply

skittles_man

skittles_man

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hiya Folks,

Whenever I start a game (Mafia II, Starcraft II) and other high end games ... my pc shuts off without warning. It just clicks off and I would have to physically press the power button to boot it back up.

It is rather frustrating. I have a 500W power supply, and I made sure there is no dust and that the case fan is working (and the gfx card fan) however... I do see the my gfx cards idle temperature is 65-70.

What is the problem?

specs:

Gfx Card: ATI HD4850
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
Motherboard: Intel DG31PR
RAM: 4GB

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi skittles_man :D
Possibly a failing/weak psu, minimum power requirements for your video card are 450W, that leaves 50W to run the rest of your system, something has got to give and it is usually the power hungry gfx card, you cards requirements are at the link below, also note no name brand psus damage other components over time or at once if they go bang;
http://www.amd.com/u...quirements.aspx

skittles_man

skittles_man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, Thanks for the advice.

I agreed with you and went out and bought a 700W SILENT PRO power supply.

I was able to play the game a few minutes longer than usual... however, the problem persists.

I am worried about the temperature... Idle, my gfx card reads 80*C

what is causing sudden power shut offs? how do I drop the temperature?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi again, sorry about the delay posting back.
Download and run Speedfan from here http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screenshot so that your temps and voltages can be checked, once you have done this uncheck the autofan detect and configure your fans manually, set them all to 100% and then reduce them gradually until you hopefully get a stable system.
Let us know if you need help with the Speedfan set-up

skittles_man

skittles_man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

skittles_man

skittles_man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I set those 4 to 100%...

temps are still all the same...

game still crashes...

??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
The temps showing are way to high it is no wonder the comp is shutting down.
A Tech may want to have a look at this because of the high temps, high CPU usage
and the voltages speedfan reports.
How many internal fans do you have and in particular extracting fans, is the cabling
inside your case tidy so the air can be moved around and extracted easily?
I suggest you check your system for malware/virus infections, follow the self help
guide at the link I have attached and if there is a possibility your system has a
malware issue start a new thread there and provide them with a link to this thread
so the steps you have done can be checked by them, if you get the all clear from
them but the issue is still not resolved you can return here and we can look at some
other possible causes, please do not post any malware information here.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/