Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SoooSLOWLoading

• Please log in to reply

amnbca

amnbca

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Frustration! Was told to go to geeks to go to get help. My computer takes between 6 and 9 minutes to load in spite of having been virus checked (Avast ... updates auto), complete defrag(about a week ago)and having been checked with superantispyware (loaded on my computer).
Quite simply I don't know what to do.
The system is running Windows XP (updates automatically) and am using firefox as my web browser.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Insert Name Here.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon
as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

I need to get some info before I can formulate a plan of attack for you.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
As requested: (issue for me was trying to get you the screenshot. Just didn't quite understand the direction there. Apologies.

Hope this helps
Thanks

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok the two reports look pretty good so we'll move on to the next steps.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Mason24

Mason24

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, I am by no means a tech but i had problems with slow system loading and adding more RAM fixed my problem.

Good luck :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hello, I am by no means a tech but i had problems with slow system loading and adding more RAM fixed my problem.

Good luck :D

Thanks Mason24 for the tip but this one has plenty of memory. It's not that but most likely the buildup of temp files. A couple more steps and hopefully it will speed back up.

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi RSHEAFFER61. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I have completed all of the tasks set forth so far to the end of the 'defrag' wi:th Auslogics. The load time (a restart after the defrag was completed) was as follows: 7 min and 35 seconds. The breakdown went as follows (if it i s of use) a) TO WINXP Black 15 sec. b) Windows Blue Screen "...Starting" 36 sec. c) WELCOME Screen 4:19 min/sec d)music of on 5min 21sec e) main screen opens 5min 31 sec f) load of start-up files and virus boot check 7 minutes and 35 sec. ... Seems awfully long to me. There may be too many (perhaps way too many) programs in the start-up (i have looked at msconfig and tried to eliminate those not felt necessary as part of loading ... programs ... but avoided any files I was not sure about (system or ... well anything else). The Anti-virus software is avast and it obviously is part of the boot sector and probably checks for an update ... don't know that just guessing). 7 1/2 minutes to load this computer (admittedly not a 2010 model but still a pretty fast computer running XP) seems sooolong. As before stated, you help is really appreciated and to that end so will be your opinions. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the kind words and hopefully we will be able to speed you up. It's nto a easy process but please be patient and we will keep going till the end.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It is sooooSLOWLoading just to keep you up to date. There are 19 files/pgms in the Start area so the process is not the quickest. With only the first three being used SyntpEnh, TpsMain and Tvstray load time was reduced to about 5:50 from over 7min. Progress. However as I add the extras time increases (as might be expected). Point of this update is simply to let you know that with 16 to go the process is taking a lot of time. No objections here and I will keep you posted but it could be tomorrow before finishing. (My wife has "clarified" her views of computers and the amount of time they take ...as in you are spending too much time on fixing that computer and it is time to spend some time doing some other things with your time). Yeah! Keep with me. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I will stay with you no matter how long it takes. Real life takes priority and I understand that fully.
With everything unchecked that you possibly can in the Startup the boot time is better right?
Once you are done with that then move on to the below instructions.
Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

When Windows Desktop appears, you will have a "nag screen" stating that your operating system is running in Diagnostic Mode, etc. etc. We know that since you used MSCONFIG to disable several of your Startups.
You can place a checkmark/tick into the little box at the left of the "nag screen" which says: "Never show this to me again." Then press OK.

Advertisements

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Good afternoon on Sat.oct.16th .......... I am plodding away here but made a couple of "trying to do it to fast mistakes" which has cost some time. What I have completed just now is as asked(sorta ...told you I got overenthusiastic) msconfig/SERVICES/UNCHECKED EVERTHING/HIDE ALL MS SERVICES AND sTART/ UNCHECKED ALL BUT FIRST THREE (SynTP Enh, avast UI, TpSMain ... touch pad, keybd, and by mistake left on avast)!???
((I know if they would only do as they are asked and not try to be the authority .... agreed).
HIT ONE STUMBLE FOR THE FIRST TIME: Was met with the following message when trying to do both of the above: "An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Admistrator acct. to make specified changes."
First time that has been encountered. Did not know how to do so on XP. There is only 1 user log on (Toshiba ...ok so not creative just left it after purchase). IN ANY CASE: I HIT APPLY, EXITED/COMPUTER DID A RESTART FROM MSCONFIG WORK AND COMPUTER BOOTED WITH NO PROBLEMS
tIME 5:5O (min:sec) [[Blue windows strt scrnin 8 sec: Blues Welcome scn in3 min 25 sec and Main scn and avast boot in 5:50.
Apologies for not following protocol. I WILL return to doing asked.
Thank you for your patience
ahnbca
ps. I am typing a list of all pgms in the Start file if that would help you in narrowing down issues there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says

For HD only

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello once more.
As requested above re IDE contollers (etc). Computer booted successfully but the time was approximately 7 minutes again. Each of the controllers was set at "DMA if available" when that area was opened. I reset it to that and computer rebooted. Avast was still loading after that but I set notepad to start when possible so timed it to there.
Thank you again
ps i have taken the liberty of attaching the startup pgms file created earlier if of any use whatsoever.
ahnbca

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I see some things we could turn off in startups.
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "HP Software Update"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "NvCplDaemon"
+ "RAMASST.lnk"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

amnbca

amnbca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi again ... a little later in the evening or early in the am. 12:06 Sunday terrrible to still be on the computer. Sorry for being so late.
I "sorta" did as instructed. The "sorta" amounts to this: 1st: I went to "msconfig/Start" and disabled/unchecked the requested programs and then turned off "ctfmon.exe as instructed and rebooted. Reboot time using the same measure as previous post was 6 minutes 20 sec. (yes avast was still doing its thing but notebook did open withing the timeframe of 6:20) so progress.
Now as to why the "sorta". I did not know how to get to the "AUTORUN"/logon/ tab to uncheck as needed so did it the other way. Of course that did not make it permanent as would be in checking General within the first tab vs the "selective" area SO I MUST CONFESS A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO DO THAT.... SORRY. HELP NEEDED THERE.
PLEASE STAY WITH ME. No doubt your reply will not come until later Sunday - understandably - but truth be (and maybe you don't care) but we were invited out to a partridge dinner (never had it before) cooked by a neighbour who both hunted them and cooked them. A first for this computer nerd and it was enjoyable.) Probably the case that only computer matters are talked about but you are spending so much time trying to help me that perhaps a getting to know "the other person" might be of some interest ... fun. ie Darn he likes more than computers (hard to comprehend is it not?!!!!) Hope you enjoyed your evening and will talk with you later.
Have a good sleep!
Night ... and yep ... Thank you RShaffer61
ahnbca 12:22am